21. Market Day

TW: Abuse (No graphic detail but there are implications / cliff hanger at end)

Isabella

When dusk began to set, Rhys and Isabella began the long walk back to the village. Mrs Cromwell's words still rung around Isabella's head, Rhys was content to keep a steady conversation about one of the cities in the Night Court.

It was only when Isabella paused, hunching over slightly as a cramp wracked her body that Rhys finally sighed and gave up the menial discussion. Despite the embarrassment and pain Isabella couldn't help but feel grateful for the male standing by her side, rubbing her back as he braced her weight against himself.

"Cramps?"

She grinds out a groan that sounds suspiciously like 'what do you think'.

"Yeah... stupid question."

She whimpers nodding in agreement.

"I don't know much about human cycles but fae ones are typically crippling-"

"So that's why you've been staying with me all day."

"Well my mother would have beaten my arse black and blue if I left a lady to collapse in the cold."

She chuckles, straightening up as the pain subsides. Rhys continues to hold onto her arm, scanning her face for any sign of lingering pain but Isabella does her best to give him a reassuring smile.

"Human cycles aren't usually crippling for most women. Granted they're still awful but I can at least function."

"Ah." A faint blush paints his cheeks and Isabella grins.

"Though I appreciate the gesture, don't you have High Lord duties to be completing." Isabella arches a brow, looking at the bashful male in amusement. She understood why he was here in the morning, having something like that playing on your mind would be enough to drive anyone insane. Except Rhys found his answers hours ago. Maybe he had been repaying her for the conversation and advice but... still, time is currency for man- male like him.

"I am allowed to have holidays." He tease and Isabella purses her lips in annoyance. "Do you normally chose to spend your holidays following around human women."

"Don't say it like that." He playfully sighs. "It sounds creepy when you say it like that."

"Well?"

He sighs, "Maybe I was curious. My brothers have been spending a lot of time here and I wanted to know what had caught their attention."

Inexplicably Isabella blushes. Despite the thoughts whirling around her head she slowly nods in understanding, pushing her behind her ear to buy an extra second of time to think through her answer.

"It would seem they have both taken a great interest in my son." She begins and Rhys raises his brows in obvious disbelief though his smirk belies his attempts to hide his amusement. "I think they are both healing old wounds that I remind them of. Childhood, mothers and from Cassian has told me of Windhaven they are also struggling with the state my family lives in."

"You do yourself a disservice." Rhys pauses, leaning back against a tree at the entrance to the market. "I personally find your mind to be so captivating, not the tragic sob story."

She rolls her eyes at his attempt to ease the tension suddenly controlling her body. But it works and she finds herself smiling.

"That's a shame considering I was drawn in by your guilt ridden story." Isabella grumbles but then wonders if it was too soon to reference such a thing. Especially when his expression goes slack for a moment but then suddenly he's laughing loud enough to show off his canines and she finds herself giggling too.