Unprecedented Swearing In (32)

Chief Parker's POV

I feel bad for Adelaine. She is so busy! She's got a lot on her plate once she agreed to become President of the Theatre Department. The first thing that she has to do is clean up the mess that the previous president left behind. We here at GBPD also need her to testify in court for the former president's trial since she saw the late theatre department teacher's dead body and was almost killed. She agreed to the interview when I last spoke to her, so her and Hugh are being brought to the precinct by Ramirez and Gabriel. I hear a door open and step out of my office. The two had arrived. Since she is newly president, there is a protocol where I shake her hand and Hugh's hand, addressing them by their titles. (Her Honorable Miss Adelaine Jones and His Honorable Mister Hugh Anderson, since Hugh is Vice President.)

Adelaine certainly dressed for the part. Adelaine was wearing a black coat dress, black tights, and black heels, and had her hair up in a bun. I smiled at them and then shake their hands, calling them by their official titles. Adelaine smiled at me and shook my hand, with Hugh then giving me a small smile and shaking my hand. I bring the two to my office so they could fill out some paperwork so they could indeed testify. I hand them two forms and give them each a pen. They signed the papers and then were taken to separate interrogation rooms. Ramirez and Gabriel took Adelaine and Detective Julian Ramis took Hugh.

Adelaine's POV

I'm being interviewed for a court hearing. I have to say, I never thought that I'd ever be doing something like this in my life. I follow Ramirez and my Godfather to the interrogation room. I sit down across the table from the two men. I really don't want to relive this. I sigh and Ramirez assured me that everything will be fine and okay. He has some tissues and water for me as I testified. I'm about to start talking when another officer comes in with a camera. She smiles and says that she is recording it for court. I nodded and said that it was okay. I feel like this is going to be a powerful testimony. I feel myself tear up as I reminisced about the day.

"Finding the body strung up like a puppet like that was traumatizing. You don't understand how much I was worried about almost dying and afraid of losing Hugh since he was there throughout the attack. Thank goodness that I made it out! It was hell for me and Hugh." I say.

"Could you describe how you feel about your predecessor?" Ramirez asks.

Hmm. That's a difficult question to answer. I ponder it for a few minutes, taking a long hard time to think about it. I turn to Ramirez and stare him right in the face.

"The former president is a disgrace and a psychopath!" I huff.

"Really?- My godfather's eyes were wide -Well, how does that make you feel?"

"I'm heartbroken and angry at the same time. I have so many hard feelings about the whole ordeal. Why kill Mr.Hindinberg? Why try to kill me and Hugh? I have so many questions about what their motives were... why they did this." I answer, wiping tears from my eyes.

"What was your relationship with the previous theatre teacher?" Ramirez queries.

"Mr.Hindinberg was a great man. We were close, he was everyone's mentor. He called me a star since he saw my full potential and he took me under his wing as his protege with Hugh. He was one of the first people that really saw my talent, he truly believed in me. I feel like he was like a father to everyone in the theatre club." I explain.

"Well, I think we have everything that we need. You're free to go if Hugh's finished." My godfather hums.

"Okay. I'll be back for the trial." I promise, getting up from my chair and leaving the room.

I look around the hallway, looking for Hugh. I see him and he smiles at me. He wraps his arms around me, his delicate fingers wiping the scarce tears that were streaming down my cheeks. I hug him tightly and he leans in to kiss me. He kisses me on the cheek and then we hold hands until we get to the car. We'll be back in a few weeks until the trial happens.

The trial is supposed to start today, but before it starts, Hugh and I need to be sworn in. We're in the Grimsborough Police Department Precinct to do so. I dressed for the occasion, wearing a navy blue coat dress, black tights, and navy blue heels. Hugh matches me in a navy blue suit. My father is holding the Holy Bible so I could be sworn in. Apparently, it's a tradition in America to be sworn in with one. Dad seems very happy to be the one swearing me in. History is being made, a father is holding the book for his daughter, usually, it's the mother holding it for her son. I'm making history too, the first European-American, Modern Woman, and Swiss-American to be sworn in as President of the Theatre Department. Chief Parker comes over and swears me into court. Chief Parker also swore in Hugh, telling us that we must tell the truth or we will face consequences. We nod and then Chief Parker brings out two badges. One is my presidential badge, which she pins to my coat. The other badge is Hugh's vice presidential badge, which he gets pinned on his suit jacket. My mother steps up, holding a pearl brooch in her hand. I've seen it before. She wears it all of the time and I've been told that I wore it when I was Christened. Mom explains that the pearl brooch was given to her by her mother when she married Dad and that she wore it at her own christening. Mom felt like it was time to give me the brooch, as it was in the Dupont family for generations, giving it to me. I smile and kiss her cheek, which she returns, then goes back to her seat.

After everything is made official, our speeches are going to be made. I step up to the podium and take a deep breath, looking out into the crowd. I see the rest of the theatre department and people in the precinct, then spot Lexi and Sammy, who give me a thumbs up. My other friends came to support me and they cheered me on. Motivated, now I begin my speech. My speech includes me telling them what I plan to do with my presidency, including diversity and inclusion, a hint at what plays and musicals we might do, and an invite to anyone who wants to join to please join. My speech as the president made the whole department cheer, and give a standing ovation, all while chanting "Victory is white and red, Adelaine Jones is making history, victory is white and red, she is the best president in our generation!" Aww, how sweet. I step down from the podium and look at Hugh.

"Are you ready to give your speech?" I ask.

Hugh bites his lip. "I don't know... I don't think I can give a speech after you."

"You can do it!" I beam.

"I could never be as good at public speaking as you are, chéri!" He mutters.

"You'll do great," I reply, kissing his cheek.

Hugh steps up to the podium and gives his speech. He promises to assist me as best as he could as Vice President. Also, he promises to serve everyone as much as he can. He'll be the best sidekick I could ever ask for. After Hugh is finished with his speech, everyone applauds him and his cheeks go the cutest rosy red ever. They made up a separate chant for Hugh, which he liked. I smile as I look out into the crowd of our adoring fans. I promise to you all, and myself, that the theatre department will not fail, but rise through the ashes with me as President.

Jones' POV

I can't believe that I broke the standard that mothers normally hold the Bible when their sons are sworn in during court. This is different, now I held the book for my daughter Adelaine. Me and my precious rose are making history. I stare at her, looking calm and strong, keeping her head high. That's my girl! I'm proud of her for keeping calm in a difficult situation like this, composing herself, and keeping her dignity. I'm the first father to hold the book for his daughter in the theatre department and even the whole school. Alessia sits near Diana as Diana is witnessing her sister getting sworn in, it's special, and I know that it will be a good influence on her. Sean sits beside me and watches, proud of his cousin. Surprised he didn't bring William. They probably have a date planned sooner or later. Gabriel and Sofia are also here, proud of her. Sofia was crying tears of joy while Gabriel was wiping them away.

Gabriel's POV

I love my goddaughter so much. I'm listening to her speech. It's sentimental, strong, and overall wonderful. Diana is sitting next to Alessia, but she scoots over to me. I scoop her up into my arms, holding her tightly. She's intently watching her big sister, and I enjoy our special time together. You have to enjoy every second of it, they grow up so fast. This day is going to change everyone's life, seeing my goddaughter breaking so many stereotypes as a woman having the highest seat in the theatre department as president.