Musical Of The Century (13)

Adelaine's POV

After a meeting with the Fairview High Theatre Department, I had an announcement to make. It's been something I've been wanting to see here for a long time. The former president of the Theatre Department was discriminatory and very oppressive. People with disabilities weren't able to join our theatre, not as actors, directors, or stagehands. They were very strict about it too. No matter how small or severe a person's disability was, they weren't allowed to join and do anything. Mister Hindinberg hated this and always tried to bend around the rules the theatre department leader set but the Theatre Department struck down on him for doing this. I want everyone to have an equal opportunity in the theatre community. It's very saddening to see the situation of a lot of people who are disabled, how they have been bullied and have lost their hope. That is why I want to give them an opportunity in the theatre department, I don't want people left behind. I want to open doors to give them a chance to live and have their theatre dreams come true. I closed my notebook with notes I took during the meeting. Everyone was getting ready to leave but I whisper to Mrs.Donaldson that I had something important to announce. She tells everyone to wait and I sit down in front of everyone. Hugh and the others look at me expectantly.

"I've been thinking about what I'm going to announce for a while. Here at Fairview High School, we love everyone and we want all people, no matter the size, color, sexuality, race/nationality, or whether you are able-bodied or not. I'm going to bring opportunities for disabled kids here at Fairview so they can be able to join Theatre with us! If you guys would love to help, we can welcome these students into our humble abode and work with us on future productions."- I explain.

"Adelaine, that's wonderful!"- Mrs.Donaldson exclaims.

"We would love to help them!"- Audrey says.

"Yes, it'll be so much fun!"- Ella cheers.

"We would be glad to help! We'll help with whatever is needed to help the new people who do join."- Hugh replies.

Everyone else had similar and positive responses. Everyone agreed with my statement with delight. I'm happy that everyone had such good reactions to my announcement and request. After some more playful banter, I dismissed them but Hugh steps over to me. He asks me what the next musical we would be doing. I shrugged, not knowing what we would do next. Hugh kisses my cheek and says that he would gratefully help me. I take out my phone and look up musicals we can do, looking for musicals that could work with our intricate cast. Another kiss gets pressed against my cheek and then the two of us got to work.

It's been a week since my latest announcement and our start to allowing students with disabilities to join the theatre program. The word has spread like wildfire, although this wasn't my intention, it is good that the news is spreading at least. Everyone was super-duper supportive about this though. Students and teachers at school were always asking me for more information and ways to help. Principal Gwardieza loves my decision. She seemed inspired and awestruck. The people of the GPD were also impressed. I had gotten home from school a few hours ago. Another copy of the school newspaper came out and Hugh and I were on the front page. Again. I gave the paper to Mom and Dad. The coverage of the newspaper was positive too. Dad gave me a hug, saying that he was so proud of his princess. Mom nodded in agreement and said that she was immensely proud of me. She also added that she was filled with a lot of joy at the fact that I was giving people the chance to make their dreams come true. Mom was tired from a hard day of teaching and asked if she could just order something in. Dad and I were okay with this. Diana, who's gotten a lot more vocal as she's gotten older, asks if we could get food from Azure. Azure is a Chinese place that we order from, which is her favorite. Chinese food was agreed upon. Mom calls in the order, getting an order of dumplings and kung pao chicken for all of us. We would have to pick it up. The four of us get into the car and Dad drives to Azure's. My phone buzzed as we arrive at the place to pick up our food. I check my phone and I had gotten a text from Gabby.