Prince's Vow (18)

Hugh's POV

I am so tired. A day of tests, classwork and theatre practice sure can exhaust someone. At least I have something to look forward to when I get home, and I do get to do this with Adelaine by my side. My mother is supposed to be making some delicious baked ziti pasta. To be honest, my mouth is watering at the thought of it. I glance over at the clock, oh it's 5:00 already?! Time sure does fly by fast! I feel someone tap my shoulder so I turn to look. Adelaine is beaming a beautiful smile at me. I return the smile. She informs me that she had told our fellow actors and other participants in the play we're doing, a nerdy play about D&D, that practice was over and told them that they could go home. I nod, satisfied that now we could go home. I walk over to my bookbag and begin to rummage through it. I open the back pocket, looking for my key and phone. I find my house keys and cellphone, tucking the key into the back pocket and flipping my phone over to see if my Mom or Dad have texted me. They always text me when they come to pick me up. I haven't gotten my license yet... I'm too scared to drive myself. There are no messages. That's really weird. I text my Mom and Dad, asking if either of them were on the way. None of them answered me. I stare at my phone, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. How am I supposed to get home? I feel a hand on my shoulder and then I look over. Adelaine is there, a concerned look on my face.

"Is everything okay, Hugh?" She asks.

"Yeah, I am, it's just... my parents aren't answering me to see if they would pick me up," I reply.

"Do you need a ride home? I can drive you home if you need me to!" Adelaine offers.

"Actually, that would be much appreciated, mon chéri!" I say.

A kiss is planted on my cheek. I return the kiss and Adelaine takes my free hand. I sent a quick text to my parents, saying that Adelaine was going to drive me home but I didn't get an instant response. I tuck my phone into my back pocket, zip up my backpack and toss it over my shoulder, and go with Adelaine as she leads me out of the auditorium. Adelaine got her license about a month ago, along with a car to go with it. It's really handy since I don't have one. We head outside and walk over to her parked car in the student lot. Adelaine gets into the driver's seat and I take my seat in the passenger seat. We buckle up and head off. My eyelids start to grow heavy and I almost fall asleep in the car, but we arrive before I could doze off. I get out and thank her for the ride in more ways than one. She comes over and we share a kiss on the lips. It's short, sweet, and amazing. Adelaine smiles at me one last time and then tells me that she'll see me tomorrow. I tell her the same thing and she drives off, waving to me. I smile to myself and walk up to the front door. I get my keys, unlock the door, and head inside.

"Mom, Dad, I'm h-" I start, but stop in my tracks from being startled.

It looked like a tornado had gone through my house from how much of a mess it was. Furniture like tables and chairs were knocked over, the kitchen had dishes and silverware everywhere, along with some broken glass and porcelain, and I don't think dinner has even started to be made. However, the house was noisy. As I neared the stairs, I could hear a lot of screaming. The photographs that we had of a happy family had broken glass, some of them were on the ground, but one was still up, a picture of me, my mother, and my father on one of my birthdays. I could hear my Mom screaming at my Dad and my Dad shouting back at her upstairs in their room. I got nervous at hearing this and hurried up the stairs. I rush to my parent's bedroom and step inside, shocked by the scene in front of me. My mother was standing in my father's closet, holding a suitcase in her hands as she yelled at him. He was holding a bag in his hands and yelling back at her. I went pale when I heard the contents of their yelling. My mom threw his clothes at him and then yelled at him to get out and never come back. My father continued to scream, screaming obscenities at her. She shouts at him that she was serious and was kicking him out. He gave her the middle finger and stormed out, his clothes in the suitcase and his things in the bag. Dad didn't even acknowledge me and pushed past me. I'm silent throughout all of this. My mother sits down on the bed and begins to sob. I walk over to her and give her a hug. She looks up and notices me, and then pulls me close to her.