rent!

so, yesterday i had the opportunity to see rent again!

back in august, i was able to go see it at a local high school, (fun fact: my band director actually works there too), and it was literally such a fun experience.  i'd never seen or heard of rent at the time and my friend invited me and was like, "my moms taking me to this show, she says it has some fruityness." and since little musicals have representation like that i was like "sure..."

i wasn't too close to the stage at all the first time, but it was still so fun.  we screamed when angel walked on stage because when i say i literally didn't expect it, i literally didn't expect it.  angel is the loml and no hate will be said.

anyways....i loved it.  that was where my love for rent started.  for a highschool production, they really didn't cut much out, only the f bombs and a small part in la vie boheme but otherwise it was uncensored.  they kept every kiss between angel and collins, mimi and roger and maureen and joanne, which i didn't expect.

so, like a week or two ago, i check the highschools tiktok acc because why not and i saw a thing that was like "rent: encore" and the way i started jumping around like a five year old.  i was eccentric and started running around the house and couldn't stop  moving. i immediately texted my friend who took me last time and told her the news and she too was like, 'omg omg we need to go'.

with that thought in my mind, i was quick to run to my mom and tell her but she was quick to turn me down and say, "isn't it on a thursday? you have dance."

so, throughout the week i was literally begging her to let me go. now, that sounds really dramatic—and believe me, it was.  i understood why my mom was denying me—it had dance right when the show was, and i'd skipped too many days due to my own show and band concerts. my recitals in a month etc...—but i just really wanted to go. 

i actually knew about rent this time, and understood what was happening and why etc.  like i didn't get why angel died the first time, for example.  and, i wouldn't be as focused on trying to watch every little detail, as i'd know what to expect and shit.  i actually knew what to expect and could truly enjoy myself.

after a little begging my mom was finally like, "fine, if you can tell your dance teachers and get their approval, we'll work smth out." so, that's what i did.  i texted my dance teachers and they were okay with it and boom. i sent my mom a ticket link and the next day we had them. 

i was so excited, like i was counting down the days.

skipping forward to the day off, i was literally so happy. me and my friend—i was taking her with me—were so excited to see the cast again, yes it was the same cast.  everyone was really good for being in highschool....except the dude who played roger.  i'll get into him later bc oof.

after taking like fifteen minutes to get into the school bc the roads to the front entrance were closed and google maps wasn't giving us another way in, we got inside and someone was like "you're here kinda early, aren't you?" 

that's when we realized the show started at 7:30....not 7.

so we walked back out and sat outside for like another hour—it was like 6:40 when we got there—before returning inside and getting out seats.

we were in the second row this time and i could see the cast so clearly.  

show started and i was smiling so brightly, like i couldn't stop.  i was getting flashbacks to the first time i saw it and it was so fun.  my band director was sitting in the music corner—y'know how the music is played on stage in rent?—and i swear he deadass looked at me for a hot minute....he didn't know i was coming and i didn't know he was playing.

imma do my thoughts on each character so i don't have to write a whole ass summary.

mark: so...he was okay.  for an idea, he lowkey looked like a younger version of ted wheeler from stranger things.   his voice was mid, i don't have any major thoughts on him.  he fit the character and pulled off most of the songs.  

roger: wow, do i have some things to say about roger.  I CAN'T WITH HIS VOICE 😭.   no hate or offense to this kid, because i understand that it takes effort to be roger and to be in rent in general but omg did he have a cracky voice.  like he rarely hit notes and they sounded so off pitch, like i lowkey felt bad for him.   he totally fit the character but his voice was just not it, (and it wasn't just a bad day. his voice was like that last time too, it's just him).

like i said, no hate at all to this kid but i just couldn't.  i cringed when i heard him sing, and so did my friend.  his voice like haunts me when i listen to the studio recordings, like him singing "MIMI" will always be there, waiting to jumpscare me.

so that's my thoughts on him......he had the look, he could play the guitar, (props to him for that), but his voice just wasn't it for me.

mimi: now, i'm not a huge fan of mimi's character but OH MY GOD WAS THE GIRLS VOICE SO PRETTY.  she hit every riff and sounded so freaking amazing.  like, i aspire to sound like her one day tbh.

collins: i can't explain enough how much i love collins in this production.  his low notes were the highlight of my day, and he hit every note periodt.  like i hope he continues on with theater because he could get himself on broadway i'm sure.  i was on the verge of tears while listening to the "i'll cover you" reprise both times he was that good.   he had so much chemistry with the guy who played angel too it was just perfect.  i was living for his voice.

angel: i am an angel defender for life even though she's done no wrong.  me and my friend were so exited to see her live again and the dude who played her was perfect.  my mom was impressed when he jumped off tables and did cartwheels in the heeled boots he was wearing.  he hit all the riffs and sounded so good.  him and collins are my power couple istg.

he dropped it in front of collins like five times and i was living for this angel.  like when he stated dancing in "today 4 u" i yelled 'work it!', i just had too.   my band director was singing along to it and that also had me laughing.  i'm in love with angel and his voice too.

joanne: her voice was so pretty! she really fit the character, and i loved her.  she hit the riffs and don't get me started on 'take me or leave me'.  that was the best thing i've ever seen to be honest.  she was great in all ways.

maureen: again, i'm not a huge maureen person but the girl who played her was fire.  her voice was also really good and pretty and she hit all the high notes.  she reminded me of my friend, and that added to my enjoyment with her.  the girl really fit the character with her energy and it was fun.

benny: okay, so benny as a character? literally no one cares about your dead dog go cry somewhere else.  i'd side eye everytime he ruined a moment.  but the dude who played him? great.  he really fit the character and his voice was pretty good.  i was laughing when he yelled out into the audience.  he was good.

the ensemble was also really good!  they popped off in all the songs and solo parts.

so.....yeah!  

that's kinda my review on the actors.  I AM SENDING NO HATE!! THEY ALL DID AMAZING, BETTER THAN I COULD! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION ON HOW THEY SOUNDED, OR HOW I ENJOYED THEIR PERFORMANCES!!!  if i could see them a third time, i would drop everything to do so!