The Morality of Flesh-eaters

Warnings: Horror, nongraphic gore, a wendigo and a ghoul eating a human

Word count: 560

Synopsis: Esme is having trouble accepting who he is when he meets someone who both helps and hampers him.

Esme belongs to my friend Bean.

🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

It wasn't something he could ignore, but he hated it. He hated being what he was but there was no way to change. Esme never asked to be a ghoul, a heartless being who preyed on weaker species. He wanted to be someone who helped others. The thought of flesh made him hungry, but the thought of caving to his instincts terrified the poor thing and made him sick to his stomach.

He was walking through the forest one night, trying to put his mind at ease when he smelled something delicious up ahead. The scent was like nothing he had ever smelled before and it had the poor boy almost drooling. He ran towards the scent, curious about what it was. He wished he hadn't.

Esme soon found himself in a meadow, where in the center lay a man who was camping by the look of it. Or at least what was left of the man. His stomach was torn open and his innards were hanging out. An expression of fear was frozen on his pale, cold face. A pink-haired person hunched over him, someone who probably could have been mistaken as a human themselves if it wasn't for their antlers and ears. From the sounds that he heard from the scent, Esme realized that the body was being eaten by the antlered fiend.

The young ghoul backed up, the sounds of growling and tearing flesh awakening his hunger again, yet he tried to fight the urge. He whimpered to himself, tightly gripping the ears on his hat.

The antlered flesh-eater's deer-like ears twitched at the sound, and he looked up, dark blood dripping from his mouth, "Ah, I had no idea any ghouls lived around here other than Kodal... it's a pleasure to meet you, young ghoul. My name is Yumi." Yumi smiled at Esme, his bloody teeth long, sharp, almost bestial.

"How did you know I'm a ghoul?" Esme asked with a gasp of surprise.

Yumi grinned more, his chuckle unnerving Esme, "Because I'm a wendigo of course. My senses are much better than even you. And ghouls have such a delightful natural scent. A sickeningly sweet scent of rot and dirt. What our friend here will soon smell like." He motioned towards the body he had been eating. "You must be hungry. Why don't you share my meal with me?"

Esme shook his head, "N-no. I couldn't. Eating people isn't right..."

The wendigo sighed and stood up, taller than Esme and intimidating since he was covered in blood despite being several feet away still, "Kodal used to say the same thing but now he has no trouble eating. Your morality will one day kill you, young ghoul. So I'd suggest getting used to this." He reached down and tore one of the body's arms off and tossed it towards Esme.

The ghoul flinched as it landed in the grass by his feet. He wanted to flee, wanted to keep fighting his urges but it had been months since he last slipped up, and he was hungry. He fell to his knees, picking up the arm, "Esme... my name is Esme." He managed to tell Yumi before sinking his teeth into the flesh and chowing down quickly, like a starving beast.

Yumi grinned, "Well, young Esme, stick with me and I'll make sure you never go hungry "