Never hunt in Haevia's woods

Warnings: N/A

Word count: 655

Synopsis: Young wood elf Evii is traveling all om their own when they meet a faun.

Haevia and Evii both belong to my friend Bean.

🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

The sun shone through the leaves of the trees, dappling the forest floor with light. The forest was quiet except for the songs of various birds. All was peaceful that day.

The leaves crunched under Evii's boots as the Elf made their way through the forest. They were already soaked from having fallen into the nearby river, and now they were hungry and looking for food. A cool breeze blew through, making the poor elf shiver. Then, they saw it.

A squirrel was perched on a branch, perfect for dinner. Evii grinned as they set down their pack carefully and reached for their bow, just to get knocked down by a solid weight. They look up, their eyes meeting an angry green gaze glaring at them from behind a fringe of dark brown hair.

"Hunting is forbidden here.." Although there was anger in the stranger's eyes, there was little hostility in the voice. Like the stranger was hoping he wouldn't have to fight the elf. They got up, backing away slightly so Evii could pull themselves to their feet.

"Forbidden by who?" Evii asked, looking at the smaller creature.

"Me," The stranger stamped one of his hooves, "I am Haevia, the fae that protects this forest. It is forbidden to take the life of another here, even an animal's. If you do, you will end up cursed to a terrible fate."

"What kind of terrible fate?"

"That is not for you to know." Haevia turned and started to walk away. Evii felt compelled to follow them so they grabbed their pack and followed him.

"So what about edible plants and berries?" The elf asked, curious about the answer.

"You're allowed to eat those. More will grow, and it's not the same as taking the life of another being. But..." they turned around to glare at the taller elf. "Fire magic and uncontained fires are also not allowed. Those are heinous criminal acts as they can destroy the entire forest."

"I don't use fire magic, or magic at all."

This made Haevia smile, "Good. Just remember no hunting in this forest then."

"So do you enforce this yourself all the time or what?" Evii asked.

"I have helpers." That was all he was able to say until a shape shot out from the trees, startling them both. Evii's small companion, a creature that looked like a red panda was woken up from its nap and crawled out of their pack, chittering angrily. The shape turned to be a fox, pure white even though it was the middle of summer.

"Aurora!!! You can't just run off like that!" A person came running up and accidentally collided with Evii, throwing them both to the ground. "S-sorry." The person got up and this close Evii could tell that he was an elf as well, possibly in his late teens. His violet colored hair was a mess and he seemed nervous or scared. He helped Evii up, before going to retrieve his fox. He picked them up and held them to his chest.

"Voron..." Haevia said softly, as if scolding a child, "Please be more professional in front of guests.."

Voron frowned which made the fox in his arms whine, "I'm sorry, Haevia. Aurora ran off and I didn't want her to be in danger."

Haevia sighed and gave the young elf a pat on the head, "Well, just be careful, okay?"

Voron nodded and walked away quickly. Haevia watched him for a minute before turning back to Evii, "That's Voron. He's my apprentice."

"Good kid," Evii said, smiling softly, "A bit clumsy but good."

"So you know about me and Voron now," The fae said, "How about you, stranger."

Evii nervously fiddled with their hair, "Well, my name's Evii, but my story is a bit of a long one."

"And we have all day, so start talking."

Evii chuckled but did so.