Help him

Warnings: Horror, mentions of violence

Word count: 423

Synopsis: A frightened, haunted young man moves to try to escape his literal ghosts but finds the protector he really needs.
Halo is owned by my friend Bean and it is only a placeholder name as he is unnamed.

🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

Halo is a placeholder name. It will change.

Halo didn't like this house, but since it was the only one in his price range, he would have to deal with it. He was ignoring the whispering around him, the whispering that only he heard, as he walked into the house with the last box he had to carry in.

It was a really nice house, cozy and well maintained. Anyone who lived here would absolutely love it, but Halo didn't dislike the house itself. He hated the occupants of it.

He hated the eyes that stared down at him, the footsteps that he could hear running around him. He hated that these spirits always showed up, always haunted him.

After setting down the box, Halo felt a hand grab his tail and yank, pulling the poor rabbit backwards. He cried out at the pain of his tail being pulled, and laughter erupted around him. They never left him alone, no matter where he went. It was like they were attached to him.

The laughter stopped abruptly, the house falling into silence. Halo looked around, tears falling from his eyes. The ghosts that usually taunted him were huddled in the corner, their eyes locked on the staircase. Halo glanced over, nearly jumping out of his skin when he saw him.

Halfway down the staircase was a young man, probably close to Halo's own age. His fair hair was styled in a way that hid his right eye from view, and he wore a disgruntled expression. However, that expression softened when his gaze settled on Halo, reassuring the young rabbit with a soft smile.

The realtor never said anything about anyone else living in this house, and Halo had no idea how he had gotten in with the doors and windows locked... but then it hit him. The fact that the make wasn't corporeal like him. He could faintly see the pattern of the wallpaper through him.

Unlike the other spirits that haunted him, there was no sense of hostility or cruelty from this one. The other ghosts were obviously afraid of him, but Halo felt like this one wasn't out to hurt or prank him like the others.

You'll be safe here with me around. I won't let them hurt you anymore. I will keep you safe... unlike how I failed with Danny.

Halo could have sworn he heard a voice speaking but the ghost's mouth didn't move. As the new ghost faded, Halo was still wondering if he had said anything at all or if it was all in his head.