Chapter 2: End Of The Road

"Jon! Jon, wait up!"

Jonathan stopped in his tracks with a sigh and turned around. "Look Anya, I'll be fine. I've got plenty of contacts in the PI industry. Just don't expect me to work with the police anymore."

"I know you're mad-"

"I'm not."

"I need a favour, Jon. For old times' sake. Please?"

"If this is regarding that auctioneer murder case, count me out. It's a huge waste of my time and gives me no credits. I'll need those to afford a house."

Anya pulled his arm with a surprisingly strong force for a woman her size. "You'd retain your credits if you stop breaking the rules all the time, Jonathan. When will you stop messing up every good thing you have going for you?"

"And when will you realise that this credit system is hopelessly flawed?" Jonathan swung his arm away forcefully. "Don't lecture me, Anya. I know you're only doing this because solving this case will give you the most credits. I won't participate in the system that got my father killed. I'm not a hypocrite like you."

An uncomfortable pause hung in the drizzling air.

"I'm not doing this for the credits, Jon. I'm doing this for you." Anya pursed her lips. "The auctioneer died with two puncture wounds to his neck, just like your father. The murders have gotta be linked somehow. I haven't forgotten my promise, Jon. I- We'll clear your mother's name together."

"Save it. They're gone." Jonathan cast his head down bitterly. "I... I'm sorry I lashed out like that, Anya. Leave me be."

He broke into a slow jog, splashing small puddles of rainwater onto the side of the pavement.

~ ~ ~

Jonathan trudged into a small alley where cardboard boxes scattered themselves in an organised mess. They formed mini tents, covered by the rectangular lids of trash bins that served both as a shelter and doors to his neighbours' homes.

He walked over to his own prime real estate that snuggled cosily at the end of the alleyway and fiddled with its padlock. The uneven plastic doors swung open, revealing a rather minimalistic space that contained only a mattress and a few household necessities. A small figure jumped towards Jonathan from behind.

"Woah! Easy, boy!" he laughed, cradling the excited beagle licking his face aggressively. It sniffed the pocket of his coat and sat down, looking at him expectedly.

"Nothing ever gets past that nose of yours, eh?" Jonathan said, pulling out a gem with a striking blue colour. The dog tilted its head, as if asking how he got it. He reached into his tent and pulled out a bag of food labelled 'Oscar'.

"Just a little something I nicked from the police evidence." He smiled as Oscar lapped up the dried food on the floor. "Serves them right for deducting my credits."

His expression darkened quickly.

"Dammit Anya, why'd you have to bring up my parents?" Jonathan muttered to himself. He shut his eyes, trying to force out the painful memories of when his mother was accused of murdering his father.

It was a closed room murder on a masquerade party cruise. Joseph Warner was found dead in his cabin. Elizabeth Warner was the only one in the room, although she was in the toilet at the time. To make matters worse, a family heirloom she had always worn had gone missing. The police were all too eager to collect their credits for solving a murder case, and they ignored the questions about her missing necklace. Thirteen year old Jonathan was sent to a foster home, and his mother committed suicide in jail a few months later.

The sudden silence jolted Jonathan back to his senses. Oscar was on guard, staring in one direction and growling slightly. The man kept the gem back in his pocket and walked towards the two faint silhouettes walking to him.

"May I help you?" he asked.

"Don't play dumb, Warner. You know who we are," one of them grunted. Jonathan's eyes flickered to the gun-shaped bulge in his trousers. He smiled nervously.

"I know a lot of people," he said. "I'm a socialite like tha-"

Jonathan's back slammed against the concrete wall with a loud thud, and his wounds screamed at him yet again. He winced, his eyes narrowing in anger. Dammit. How many times am I going to get beaten up tonight?

"Return the black gem to us, and we'll leave you alone." The other man grabbed him by the cuff of his shirt.

"Your boss is in jail," Jonathan spat. "Go find a job elsewhere, you dumb lackeys."

His comment earned him yet another punch to his bruises as the men pressed him against the wall, searching his coat. They found the gem soon enough and let go of him. "Hah! I knew it. C'mon, let's pawn this thing."

Jonathan breathed heavily. Usually, he would have counted his losses and left them be. But not tonight. Not while Oscar's next meal depended on it.

He whipped around without warning and stretched for the gem. The man let out a startled cry and reached for his gun, losing the tiniest trace of concentration on his other hand. Jonathan seized the chance and wriggled his fingers expertly, pulling the gem back out. He ducked away from the gun's barrel and grabbed his attacker's hand.

An empty click sounded as the trigger was pulled. Jonathan released the hammer and worked his fingers, disassembling the gun before the gangster could realise what was happening. He shoved the men aside and made a run for it.

"Bloody street thief!" a voice yelled in anger, getting further by the second. Jonathan laughed victoriously, feeling the wind whip through his hair-

Blood exploded from a hole in his head. His lifeless body collapsed onto the street as the road rapidly began to soak in red.

"Y-you... What the hell did you just do?" the gangster screamed, pushing his partner in shock.

"I... Oh shit..." the other gangster mumbled, keeping his gun back in his coat.

"You bloody idiot, you just killed an informant!" he exclaimed. "The police will be here any moment; let's leg it!"

Their footsteps got further away as the sound of soft paws threading the ground replaced them. Oscar scurried over to Jonathan, whose blue eyes were still staring blankly into nothingness. It whined pitifully and nudged him a few times, before laying down beside him.

Pearly tears leaked from its round black eyes, dripping onto the slightly glowing gem still clutched in its friend's hand.