Alone

Several weeks have passed by. It felt like everything dragged by so slowly. Aside from hearing long sighs from my mother, she has not told me about what is going on with her. I really thought she would have let me know by now. 

She pulled me out of school. Instead, I stay home with a tutor my mother hired. She specializes in teaching the blind, according to my mother. I would really have to disagree with that though. 

While my mother is around, she is a really sweet woman. Very cheerful and patient. However, once my mother leaves for work, her personality seems to change drastically. She has never hurt me, per say. But, let's just say any patience she has when my mom is around is a grand illusion. 

Thankfully, I only see her three days a week. The other days, a nurse or Dr. Maki checks in on me during the day. I have memorized the sound of each of their footsteps so I always know who is near me. 

I am currently sitting at the kitchen table, a braille book lay in front of me. I drift my fingers over the book, the dots flowing menacingly against my fingertips. 

"Now, tell me what the title of this book is!" My tutor across from me barely kept her voice from yelling in exasperation. 

"Braille... Um- something -bow." I heard her sigh loudly. "Rainbow! The word is Rainbow!" she gritted out impatiently. 

Yeah, I do some great learning from her. I internally sigh in frustration. The scrape of her chair against the floor filled the air, before her footsteps stormed angrily to the next room. 

The door opened then, my mother's footsteps hurridely making their way to where I still sat. "Mrs. Midoriya! We were just finishing up!" my tutor's fake singsong voice said happily as she walked back into the room quickly. 

"I see. How did it go today? Are you making more progress with reading?" My mother asked as she placed a kiss on my cheek. 

I nodded my head. "Of course, mother. She is a great teacher. I will be able to read braille in no time at all." I exclaimed, hiding the sarcasm my voice wanted to throw in. 

My mother laughed lightheartedly. "That's good. Well, I am home for the day. And I don't work tonight! What would you like to do, Izu?" 

My tutor slipped out the door unnoticed from my mother. "Anything is fine mama. Um- I have a question," I treaded carefully, unsure if I should really ask her about it. She hummed in response. 

"Um- well, I just- I am just- you see, I-" I tripped over my words, not sure how to ask what was on my mind. 

My mother walked softly to my side and put a hand on my shoulder. "Izuku, take a deep breath. Whatever it is, I promise you can talk to me." Her comforting words washed over me. 

"Well, you see. I may have overheard you and Dr. Maki talking. And I am just worried." My mother jumped in shock. "Overheard what exactly?!" her voice turned squeaky in worry. 

"Um- well it was about- well I'm not completely sure what exactly- I heard you say something about me dying alone." my voice grew quiet as a solemn air hung around us. 

I could hear my mother trying to calm her breathing down, before suddenly I heard her footsteps suddenly rush away from me. I could hear the sound of her gagging as she threw up violently into the trash can. 

I sat there horrified, unsure of anything I could do to help. She stayed that way for several minutes before I heard the sink running and her panting breath. 

She sighed heavily before coming to sit in the chair beside me. "I didn't want to tell you, Izuku. I know what you are going through is more than anyone should have to and I didn't want to add to it with my own troubles." mom's faint whisper barely reached my ears. Another sigh escaped her lips. 

"But soon I would have to tell you anyway. I am very sick. I was hoping to outlive you, but it might not happen." she said sadly, I could hear the tears in her voice. 

"Sick? What do you mean sick?" My voice stayed calm as I asked questions. But inside my head, I was falling apart. 

"I have cancer. And it is too far along for anyone to help me. I am going to die, Izuku." I felt tears escape my eyes, but I refused to break down. "How long?" I asked stoically. 

She put her hands on top of mine and squeezed them tightly. "Izuku, you don't need to worry about that right now." 

I snatched my hands away from her. I could feel her flinch from my reaction. I didn't mean to act this harshly. I really didn't but it kinda just happened. 

"NO!" I yelled, burying the overwhelming pain bubbling inside me. "How. Long." I said lowly. Angrily. 

A choked sob came from her throat as she shoved it away. "I'm- I'm sorry! Two...Two years." 

An overbearing silence stifled the conversation as I stubbornly shoved the pain away. I stood up and reached my hand out to the wall next to me. I found my way to my bedroom, slamming the door shut. The sound reverberated in the silent house. 

I locked the door before sitting on my bed, staring ahead at nothing. I saw nothing. My mind a dark blur, a numbness seeping into my heart. Blocking everything out. 

I feel so alone.