Secrets

The next day, my mother and I returned to see Dr. Maki. She is very nice, just like mother said she is. I am sitting in her office waiting for the two of them to return. I am not sure what they needed to discuss privately, but they have been gone for quite a while now. 

I cautiously stood and maneuvered blindly towards the door. Slipping, thankfully, unnoticed by nurses standing close by. I could hear them talking, still. I kept my hand sliding against the wall beside me, guiding me to who knows where. 

I guess I didn't really think this through. I have only been here once, so I have no idea the layout of this hospital. I think I am lost. 

I start to listen out to find someone to help me back to Dr. Maki's office. That's when I heard the doctor and my mother's voices around the corner. 

"-way to stop it?" My ears perked at my mother's frantic tone. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Midoriya. But there really is nothing I can do to heal you." Dr. Maki's voice sounded sad. 

Heal my mother? Is she sick? 

"But what am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to tell him? My son is dying! I can't tell him that soon he will have to go through that alone!" My mother's voice exclaimed in a high pitch. 

It was quiet for a moment while my mother tried to calm herself down. 

I don't want my mother to die! I don't want to die alone! What does this all mean?

My foot shifted a bit loudly, causing both of them to look towards the corner I was hiding in. My hands shot up to cover my mouth as I held my breath. They soon returned to their conversation, but none of their words reached my ringing ears. 

I quickly spun around, running blindly through the hallways. Barely acknowledging the shadows that I bumped into on the way. Tears falling uncontrollably at this new revelation. 

I suddenly ran into something hard and fell backwards. Honestly, I am surprised it didn't happen sooner. I didn't try to stand back up. I just pulled my legs to my chest and rocked back and forth. 

"Do you need help, little boy?" a frail, female voice asked as soon as an annoying squeaking came to an abrupt halt beside me. 

"My name is Riko, little one. What is your name?" 

I stayed in my spot still rocking, trying to calm down. "I-I'm Midoriya. Midoriya, Izuku." I mumbled out. 

"Ah, nice to meet you Izuku! Are you here visiting someone?" the kind lady inquired. I shook my head slowly. "No ma'am. I am here seeing the doctor." I replied after a pause. 

"Oh, well I do hope it is nothing too serious. You are so young, with so much life still ahead of you." I bowed my head sadly. Riko's demeanor changed from my small admission. "Oh, I see. Well, life really is not fair sometimes. I am so sorry, Izuku. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always find me here. I practically live at this hospital. Just ask directions from a nurse." I nodded my head silently. 

Her hand touched my arm sympathetically, attempting to pull me to my feet. "Come on now. I am sure you were trying to find your way back, right?" Riko said when I didn't move. I sniffled before bringing myself to my feet, standing awkwardly in the hallway. I was unsure of the direction I was facing, and even more unsure of which direction I needed to walk in. 

"Do you remember what room you were in, Izuku?" Riko's kind, frail voice asked from beside me. I nodded my head. "It was Dr. Maki's office." I whispered. A squeaking sound filled my ears when she started moving beside me. She chuckled. 

"Sorry for this noisy old thing. I swear I have had this same wheelchair forever, but I just can't seem to part with the old thing." she informed me with a cheerful tone. "So sad I will be the one departing from it soon." Riko's voice had turned melancholy for a moment before turning me around. 

We headed down a hallway. Voices of chattering nurses, quick footsteps, and Riko's squeaky wheels filled my ears. Occasionally a voice from a speaker calling a doctor could be heard. We walked for a few minutes before Riko slowed to a stop and pulled my arm to stop me from walking. 

"Emi, dear! How are you doing today?" Riko exclaimed after walking us into a room. "I was just bringing this sweet child back to your office." 

Footsteps echoed loudly running up to me. "Oh my god, Izuku! Where did you go?! I was so worried!" My mother breathed out while grabbing me by the shoulders. She pulled me into a hug, clinging to me. "Don't ever do that again! Do you understand?" I could hear how worried I made her. 

"I'm sorry mama. I didn't mean to worry you." I said quietly. I could feel her tears on her cheek when her face brushed against my neck. I really didn't mean to worry her. 

Maybe I will just keep it to myself about what I overheard. She will tell me when she is ready. Right?