I am fine

I got home, with the help of my mother, of course. And was happy to hear Kaachan's shifting feet in the living room. "Kaachan!" I yelled happily in the still air. 

He shuffled his feet awkwardly over to me. His steps always have a weird distinct sound to them, that I don't hear in anyone else. Maybe it is the weird way he walks. 

"How did you know it was me?" Kaachan asked in shock. "Your footsteps!" I replied gleefully. "Well, come on nerd! There is a new video game I want to play!" He looped his arm through mine guiding me to the living room, even though by this time I had already memorized everything in my house as well as his. I could get around without assistance for the most part. 

I sat down obediently when he nudged me towards the couch. I listened to him scramble with a crinkling, plastic paper. Then I heard a pop sound as the case opened. Once he had put the game in, I could hear the opening credits blare from the television. It was one of those theme songs you would hear in a battle game. 

"It is the new hero game. You can even fight as All Might! Isn't that cool?" Kaachan beamed from beside me. He really is a completely different person when he is not around others. I wish that he would just be himself. He kept rambling on, the topic switching to All Might. Kaachan loves All Might. It is his favorite hero and he wants to be just like him. 

It suddenly went quiet and I worried that maybe he thought I wasn't listening. "What did the doctor say?" Kaachan whispered. Ah. The exact question I was hoping to avoid. I sighed warily. 

"Kaachan- Can't we talk about this later?" I could feel Kaachan's body tense up beside me, his small muscles clenching and unclenching in silent anger. "When?" 

"When what, Kaachan?" 

"When? When exactly do you want to talk about it" His voice started to choke from unshed tears, "When your body is too broken to function? When-" he broke off, a painful sob escaping his lips. "when your dead?" he whispered. 

"Kaachan. Please- I know it looks really bad. But the doctor said I will be okay! There is a treatment, and I am starting it soon!" I lied cheerfully. But it seemed to work. Kaachan perked up when I told him that. 

"Really?! You're going to be okay?" I put my hand on his jittery one and nodded my head. Hating myself for lying to my best friend. But it is for the best. At least for now. He doesn't need to spend years dwelling on my death. 

Kaachan went back to playing his game happily. Soon gushing about his admiration for All Might and some recent fights he had watched. I smiled faintly to myself. I may be dying. But I will protect Kaachan from that knowledge, at least for now. 

After Kaachan had left my mom prepared dinner for the two of us. "Izuku, honey. Why did you lie to him?" she whispered, not touching her food. I pondered it for a second. 

"I didn't want him to be sad while I am still living." Mom choked back a sob. "Do you want me to keep it a secret as well?" her question sounded tortured. 

I nodded my head. "I don't want people to treat me like I am already dead. Or to treat me with pity and false kindness. I just want people to be real and to make as many people happy as I can before I die." 

"Very well, Izuku. I will keep it between us." she said sadly. The very proof of why I want to keep it hidden.