Ling Miaomiao had already found an excellent location.

It was an open place in the woods which wasn't too far from those three. From there, she could vaguely hear their voices but it wasn't clear enough for her to hear any specific details. It also gave a sense of security as well as achieved the effect of helping her avoid that scene.

Mu Sheng collected some twigs then tossed them on the ground. With a bang, sparks appeared and lit the twigs. The crackling flame was reflected on his white-jade-like face. He raised his eyes and shot a glance at Ling Miaomiao just in time to see her sitting under the tree in a daze while hugging her knees.

He poked at the fire and a few sparks flew out. With a straight face, he asked, "Don't you like Liu Fuyi as well?"

Miaomiao let out a laugh, put her arm behind her head and casually leaned back against the tree. " ...whether it be appearance, birth, or talent, I can't compare with the princess. So, why should I bother to throw myself into the mix? I'll just disgrace myself."

Mu Sheng raised his gaze, resting it on the girl under the tree.The flickering light of the fire danced across her pretty face; a pair of apricot eyes gleamed as her gaze wandered, pink cheeks, moist lips... From top to bottom, even the jade-colored bows on her two hanging buns were more pleasing to the eyes than Princess Duanyang.

Keeping a straight face, he nodded and replied, "Well, at least you have some self-awareness."

Catching a glimpse of Ling Miaomiao's glare, the corners of his lips raised slightly. He added in a seemingly offhand manner, "However, you're much better at getting on people's good side than her."

Miaomiao's expression flipped from cloudy to clear within a second. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at him, "Really?"

His lashes trembled slightly, "No."

Ling Miaomiao's face collapsed immediately.

Mu Sheng focused on stirring the embers. He took out the stick after his hand was feeling rather sore, to rest for a while.

Ling Miaomiao slowly scooted close to his side and wrapped her arms around her knees. She looked into the fire and asked, "Shall we switch watches?"

"What?" He asked, flabbergasted.

"I'll watch the fire for a while, you can rest for a little." Miaomiao looked at him with a puzzled face. "You've been on watch for most of the night, aren't you tired?"

Moreover, he had walked for so long with her on his back. The black lotus seemed to not need sleep. He was practically about to become an immortal.

Mu Sheng was somewhat absent-minded.

Ever since he could remember, from when he was a child till now, he had always handled these kinds of trifling matters whenever they had left home to accumulate experience. He had taken care of his sister for so long but no one had ever asked him to "switch watches" and let him rest.

He had come from the night; hidden himself in a corner of the night. He was the night. He often had to light himself up, pretending to be the light.

"I'm talking to you, why are you in a daze?" The girl waved her fair hand in front of his eyes. She yawned and impatiently urged him, "Hurry up and decide, I'm getting sleepy."

After enjoying the retirement life for three months in the palace, her biological clock had become adjusted to a particularly healthy schedule. And now, after running through the woods in the middle of the night, she could hardly keep her eyes open.

Mu Sheng's long fine lashes were like a row of black feathers, slowly drifting down. In a very low voice, he told her, "...Go sleep."

Her words had just left her lips and Ling Miaomiao had fallen straight down into a carpet of leaves. The sound of her even breaths could immediately be heard.