55 (End of 2nd Volume)

Start from the beginning

"...I'll leave now." Mu Sheng bent over and picked up the bamboo dragonfly and placed it in his palm. Just before he exited the room, he paused for a moment and slightly tilted his head to the side. It wasn't clear what he was waiting for.

Ling Miaomiao didn't care so much and flipped around on the bed, facing the warm rays of the afternoon sun. She buried her head into the wondrously comfortable and soft pillow, then took a deep breath of the scent of pine. At the same time, she spoke in a muffled tone, "Young Noble Mu, help me close the door."

Ahhhh.... Being provided for in the imperial palace was such a great blessing.

Mu Sheng was absolutely still. He squeezed the bamboo dragonfly as he let his hand hang by his side. His index finger caressed the bamboo dragonfly's body, repeatedly streaking across the notches. It was carved from top to bottom in one smooth stroke. There wasn't even a single hint of hesitation in the cut.

—–Ziqi.

She only dared to call him this behind his back in a quiet voice. She always called him Young Noble Mu to his face but why did she never call him Ziqi?

He turned his body halfway, only to see the girl sprawled on the bed. Both of her feet were raised up in the air, kicking back and forth. The thin pants she wore slightly revealed the delicate ankles hidden beneath. She was just innocently burying her small face into the pillow and rubbing her face against it. This posture of hers... for some strange reason seemed to coincide with a certain, warm and comfortable dream.

"Bang."

The door was abruptly slammed shut, as if he was trying to shut off something else instead.

*

Over the past few months, going through late autumn and to the long, cold wintry winds, Princess Duanyang had been passing through her days with the Son of Heaven coming to visit her every few days. Peiyun would sit by her side, warmly serving them, and everything was calm and peaceful for the three.

To the small palace maids guarding outside, they would often feel thrilled when they heard the laughter of brother and sister coming out of the inner halls.

There was once a divide between the two that was as wide as the ocean. They only performed unfamiliar greetings to one another. However, after this whole experience, they grew to learn one another's heart.

They could even chat so joyously. They had found the intimacy one should've had between real blood-related families. Duanyang's identity as the most pampered princess of the country, had finally gained realization.

Everything was developing in a good direction. Other than Dowager Consort Zhao—-in everything that had happened up till now, she hadn't shown up at all. It was like she had turned taciturn.

When Ling Miaomiao took a stroll along the winding paths of the garden, she saw a long, continuous stream of people leaving Liuyue Palace. Court eunuchs dressed in official purple robes walked out in pairs and trios, carrying precious tea tables, pear blossom stools and four panel folding screens very carefully past her.

"Be careful, careful-..." The supervising eunuch's extended voice was just like a horsetail whisk commanding a unit, containing not a single hint of emotion.

"Excuse me, this is..."

The court eunuchs carrying the precious treasures nodded towards her, then smiling, "Dowager Consort Zhao is moving to a different palace. Please, excuse me."

This was the grand and glamorous Liuyue Palace... and Dowager Consort Zhao wanted to move away from here.

Two court eunuchs passed by her, carrying a stack of wooden chests, the top of which wasn't closed. She guessed it contained pearls, jewelry and hairpins within, judging from the crisp crinkling of precious gems colliding with one another. The two of them clenched their teeth and the veins on their foreheads popped out as they burst out with strength, lifting up the chests. Even their steps were uneven and shaky as they swayed back and forth.