Chapter 8 : Ardor

Ardor : warmth and affection associated with romantic feelings

The aroma of freshly baked goods and roasted coffee beans floated in the air making my mouth water

The brew was a quaint little cafe tucked away in a remote corner, the interior painted a pretty pastel color.

I smiled at the woman in front of me and her very cute baby.

“Welcome to Brew ma’am, what can I get you today?” I said politely.

“Hello, dear. Can I please have a cup of flat white and a honey cake?”

“Sure ma’am. Can I get you something else?”

“That’s it,” she smiled and rummaged through her purse to pay.

After collecting the money, I asked her to take a seat and walked around the counter to give the order to Martha, the barista and also the owner.

She grinned,“Iris, honey, could you do me a favor and go make a fresh batch of the Tarta de Santiago? We’re running out of it.”

I internally winced hearing the name my family calls me.

“I’d love to but-”

“Don’t worry, I’ll ask Jess to take over the counter.”

I internally did a victory dance and went back to the kitchen.

Being an introvert meant I didn’t want to do anything with people and most of the time I wasn’t lucky enough to have polite customers as I did today. 

And the fact that I loved baking was a bonus too.

Martha had been my mothers friend so whenever she visited us I used to make her all sorts of desserts that I’d learnt from YouTube.

So when I came to Glasgow for college, she immediately contacted me to visit her cafe. And after coming here, I couldn’t help but ask her for a job here.

It helped me financially too and I’d been so proud when I spent my money and not those deposited in the bank each month from my parents and brother.

If they thought they could bribe me into talking to them then they were so damn wrong. 

Not after all they did.

Shaking myself out of the memories, I focused on the task in front of me. Forty minutes later, I placed the cakes on the tray to cool down and started looking for the stencil to decorate it.

“Melantha!” I heard Jess yell my name and not even a second later she barged into the kitchen, her curly blonde hair piled on top of her head with a bandanna and an alarmed, dazed expression on her face.

I looked at her confusedly.

She gasped for breath and raised her hand as she hunched on her knees.

“Mela! There’s someone asking for you,”