Prologue

I woke to the sound of someone screaming and after a few minutes only did I know it was my own. Wiping the cold sweat off my brow with trembling fingers, I reached up to the jug of water on my table.

It was the same dream again today, the same routine of waking up in the middle of the night, the screams, it had all become part of my life. The moon was beautiful tonight, so unlike my dream. The night peaceful and  here I was, my mind anything but that.

I could feel the tremors in my bone still, the feeling of walls closing in, you'd think that after having the same dream repeatedly things would have been easier. Normal. But Mother above knew that it hadn't. Not even a bit. That was the funny thing about it, people say the pain goes away but it didn't. They said it would heal but it didn't. They said the phase would be over soon but it didn't.

I have to get away. Feel the wind on my face.

Quickly snatching my car keys, I sneaked out. My breath laboured and my hands clammy. Air. Fresh air. I felt my throat closing up and it took everything in me not to just crumble and break down crying. Crying until I couldn't anymore. Crying until my throat was sore. Until I couldn't feel the heavy lump in my throat.

But I didn't. I couldn't.

I drove past the tall trees until I could hear the sound of waves crashing on the rocks and I inhaled the smell of salty sea water. Parking my car, I stumbled to the top of the cliff overlooking the beautiful blue sea, glistening in the moonlight.

And then I noticed a couple of SUVs parked in front. A few of the males were yelling joyfully as they wrestled in the water, while some sat by calmly, sipping what looked like beer and smoking cigarettes.

But what caught my attention was a tall silhouette hunched on the hood of one of the SUV. He appeared to be connecting some sort of cord to the speaker.

I watched him intently, my mind distracted.

He stood up straight and grabbed something from the ground. A violin.

He sat back on the hood and placed it under his chin before drawing out a long bow. I tilted my head curiously, there was something about him that I couldn't quite put a finger on.

I craned my neck to maybe catch a glimpse but he had a black hood on and all I could see was his violin.

One of his companions said something to him and he nodded.

I saw him taking a deep breath and at the first stroke of the bow, I froze.

The music was soft and slow paced. The bow going back and forth gracefully like flowing water. But yet it sounded so sad and heartbreaking. It was as if he was trying to communicate something that no one seemed to know.

As if it was about something he had lost.

I forgot about my own nightmares and stood there, watching as he played and I felt tears prickling in the back of my eyes.

His bow came down in a graceful arc and he bowed dramatically as the others clapped and hooted.

"You almost made me cry,man! Play something happy now," one of them yelled from the water.

The boy laughed and nodded. As of he didn't just show all of them a piece of his heart. His laugh was rich and melodious. It reminded me of dandelions floating in the air, so free and wild, floating wherever the wind calls to them.

Another one joined him with a guitar in his hand. This time I recognised the upbeat pop song. The rest whistled and danced, while the two laughed along with them.

I felt a smile twitching in the corner of my lip as I sat down and watched them. They just seemed so happy and carefree.

Suddenly the speaker stopped working and the boys groaned. The one playing the violin kept it on the sand and trudged towards the speaker. He took his phone out and turned on his flash light.

I stilled as he leaned down to fiddle with the speaker, the flash light in one hand, illuminating his face.

The first thing that came to my mind was that I've never seen a male as beautiful as the boy in front of me.

His curly bronze hair spilled out onto his forehead from his hood, his electric green eyes were focused on the task in front of him.

He was as beautiful as the music he produced.

He grinned as the speaker started working again and I felt my heart skip a beat at the sight in front of me.

I must have made some sort of sound because he suddenly froze, his eyebrows furrowed and he tilted his head to the side, the flash light raised.

I got up fast.

I didn't want him to see me.

Turning on my heels, I rushed past the trees and down the cliff through the narrow steps. Fishing my car keys out of my pocket, I opened the door and scrambled onto the driver's seat.

I sighed as I started the car. I don't even know why I panicked. Maybe because I didn't want to be seen a stalker. Honestly, I don't even understand myself sometimes.

I glanced at my side mirror casuallyand let out an involuntary gasp.

There he stood, watching me. His chest heaved up and down as if he had ran here. The moonlight casted a faint glow on him, making him look like a fallen Angel. He just stood there, staring at me like I held the answers to all his questions. Something about his look unsettled me and broke me out of my reverie.

I quickly looked away and stepped on the gas, speeding until he was out of my sight. Oh, and how I wished he was out of my mind too.

______________________________

A U T H O R ' S  N O T E :

Okay, so I edited the chapter because I had written this one almost a year ago and I wanted to start from the beginning again.

So what do you think of this chapter? Do you like it better than the previous version? ( if you remember)

What do you think about the boy with the green eyes?

XxAelinAsh