Chapter 31

Darshana

My first time staying around Veda for a long time.

This is the fourth time I'm visiting Veda with his knowledge. The three previous times, it was me who wanted to leave early, unable to handle the tension between us. Though the time I spend with him per week is less, he never complained about it. If it was Hridhay, he would have kept taunting me for not spending time with him like he does by continuing to repeat that I ignored him.

Veda and I entered the house and found Selvam Anna arranging the table for us. "Shana, enkooda oru nimisham mela vanga." He scratched his forehead hesitantly.

"Sure." I followed him upstairs and he went into his room asking me to wait outside for a minute.

He returned with a keychain and opened the room next to his bedroom. "Idhu Amma oda room, neenga sapdurathuku munnadi refresh aagikonga." He walked into the bedroom and unlocked the wardrobe. He opened it and took a towel out, forwarding it to me. "Naan keezha wait panren." He left the room, closing the door behind him.

I looked around the room and it gave me a shrine feeling. Except for a couple of paintings on the wall there were no pictures of his parents. The room looked neat and clean as if it was cleaned everyday or at least weekly once. There was a sewing machine on an almirah next to the wardrobe, a corner bookshelf with Tamil literature books. Opposite the bedroom door there was the balcony door and a 32 inch LED TV was mounted on the wall next to it.

A drawing board, dressing table and a King size bed occupied the room at the wall adjacent to the balcony side. A three plus one plus one seater sofa with a coffee table was placed near the doorside wall. I opened the door opposite me, guessing it must be the bathroom and it was also clean with a bathing stall, vanity counter and toilet. I placed the towel on the counter and used the toilet before removing my top and washing my face, neck, shoulders and under arms.

Veda was correct on one thing that I came here well prepared. In fact, I wore yoga pants and a baggy t-shirt to move around easily while learning the game. But not even once I noticed or felt Veda's eyes scanning me treacherously.

I wore my t-shirt back and let the towel dry in the cloth hanger before exiting the bathroom and the bedroom. Veda exited his room exactly at the same time. Back in his hoodie, he smiled at me and we both got down the stairs to have our lunch.

"Lunch ku apuram enna plan? Konjam relax panitu training ah illa art class ah?" Veda asked me as he pulled the chair for me on the right side of the table.

"Konjam relax panitu training. Naan eppadi aachum win paniye aaganum." I took my seat and Veda sat on the head of the table.

Selvam Anna came to serve us but Veda stopped him. "Neengalum ukarunga na sapdulam."

"Athan papa iruke, thambi. Papa kooda pesitu sapdunga. Naan apuram saptukuren." Selvam Anna took a rice paddle to serve us food but received a glare from Veda. "Anna, amma iruntha appo la irunthu namma ellam onna thaane saptu pazhakam. Ithu enna pudusa?"

"Anna, ukarunga." I stood up and pulled the chair next to me, crossing my arms. Selvam Anna seemed to be taken aback but sat down, looking at me. I took my seat again and noticed Veda had the same expression as Selvam Anna. "Enna aachu?" I served him first and went to serve for Veda.

"Nee potukitu enaku kodu." He took the Carrot, Beans poriyal and served it on his plate.

We exchanged the bowls and served the food among us. "En rendu perum enna oru mathiri pathutu irukenga?"

"Onnum illa, ma. Nee sapdu." Veda shook his head and started eating.

"Ipo neenga solla porengala illaya?" I crossed my arms without touching the food.