I raised my hand to knock on the door.

“Come in Nandini” He yelled, even before I could knock the door that made me jump. How did he know it was me?

“How do you know it’s me?” I asked, entering inside. He was setting his hair standing in front of the mirror wearing an office suit. Who works for the office when he is having his sister’s marriage? Manik ofcourse fucking Malhotra.

“No idea, do you need something?” He asked, looking genuinely concerned that flipped my stomach. Why do they care so much?

“Uh- well, Umm.. I need to go check for apartments you know, to shift after the marriage is done” I stammered, seeing his face. He looks angry.

“Why do you want to shift? I thought mom said you are living here” I’d swear these Malhotra siblings have damn intimidating eyes.

“I need an apartment manik, I can’t be here forever, please don’t argue with me on this, I need a place where I can be alone, I just need an escape from everyone and everything sometimes and I want it to be mine” I don’t even know if my words make any sense.

His dark eyes softened. He walked to me in long and silent strides that made me stand rooted in my place. Why am I not cowering away? No idea.

“Overwhelmed?” He asked, his voice gentle as he gestured to me to sit on his bed which was messy. Hey, it's always girls who do the cleaning.

“Kind of, having these many people around is kind of.. uh weird and scary Manik. I feel like running away even though I know you guys won’t hurt me” I explained honestly as I sat on his bed, wondering why I didn't lie to him.

He just seems to make me speak anything honestly even without trying. One more reason I want to run away.

He sat beside me, keeping a feet distance between us, giving me my space that I’m grateful for.

He took a deep breath, interlocking his fingers.

“Nandini, I know this is really overwhelming for you when you have had nothing but been hurt all your life and this sudden change of the people around you is scaring you” He said softly.

I wanted to argue that Abhi really loved me but my mouth was sealed and I couldn’t utter anything.

“You’ll need time to get used to this, you will feel overwhelmed and that’s okay, don’t beat yourself up for it. A sudden change from the place you are in for years to something that’s completely new and like you are in some other dimension is really intimidating, but give this a fair try please” my voice stuck in my throat at his words.

It’s like he knows what I need to hear. What the hell is this? Can he hear my thoughts or what?

“Take space, but don’t run away, yeah? All the people aren’t really that dangerous” his tone was light at the end and I found myself nodding at his words.

“Thank you” I whispered. Oh I found my voice. Thank you everyone who tried to search for it when this guy turned me mute.

“We don’t say thank you to our friends” He ruffled my hair affectionately. I smiled, a real one.

“Are you feeling better?” He asked, a smile on his face that robbed my breath.

“Alot” my reply made him chuckle.

“And I’ll take you for seeing apartments, I have three in my mind and I’m sure you’ll love one of them, do you want to see it today?” he asked, standing up and I nodded eagerly.

“But it looks like you are going to the office,” I pointed at his suit.

“Eh, I have an urgent meeting, can we go there after lunch?” He asked, making his tie, making it messy. I laughed, standing up.