Resignation

Nandini

“Mukti wake up” I muttered, shaking the sleepy pig, I mean she really sleeps like one, with no care in the world, god bless her with prettiest dreams but I really need to go out today.

“Let me sleep” She mumbled sleepily, shoving my hand away as she turned to the other side.

“I’m going to throw water on you” I threatened her. Abhi is going to kill me, but it’s worth it.

“All the best” She threw a duvet on her face covering completely.

“I need to go find an apartment” I whined, pulling the duvet off her but damn these Malhotras and their firm hold.

“I’m not a broker for a fact” She said bluntly and I know she is up. But then, who wakes up early?

“Tell me who can I take for a company” I muttered frustratingly.

“Manik will be elated to do that” She muttered, sitting on her princess bed.

“Any girl?” I asked, knowing my crankiness might not help with him.

“Navya is with her baby and Dhruv and Alia are on a date today. So left are you and me, but I’m definitely not helping you find an apartment because I want you to be here” She yawned, throwing her duvet away.

“I can’t be here forever” I huffed.

“Try me. Mom and dad will be happiest” My heart fluttered at her reply.

“Come on, I need my space and I’m habituated to being alone” I sat on the bed complaining.

“Mom and dad are going to throw a fit for this, I’m not even sure mom would let you leave this house alone after knowing your past” She grinned.

“So sorry but I convinced her this morning” I grinned back. Her smile faltered.

“Mukti, I’ll be here for your marriage and all, but I need to be okay with everything first, shifting to India is not going to be easy and I’m going to be cranky for months, consider it as a hang out place for us youngsters'' I muttered, hugging her. I really love her, but I need to find myself first.

“Promise me you are going to visit me often” her eyes looked hopeful.

“I’m going to be in Mumbai itself. Maximum a forty five minute drive from here, we can meet whenever you want” I assured her.

This family, these many friends, this affection and love are so overwhelming that I don’t know when I’ll break down.

It feels so ironic. People made me reach a point where I keep wondering if I don’t even deserve love and seeing this much is really cracking my heart. My cold lifeless heart.

“That’s better, but I’m still not helping you find an apartment, go try it with Manik” She waved her hand, walking to the bathroom ignoring me.

Sulking, I walked to his bedroom that was on the other side of mine. Abhimanyu is going to throw a fit anyways.

He hates me living away from Malhotras, like he said, he wants me to be close to the people who love me.

It’s been a day since we divided the work between ourselves. We slept and chilled the next day, well I slept until yesterday afternoon because of jet lag.

Everyone was roaming in their night suits declaring that they are chilling yesterday and today so that we can work on engagement from this evening.

I only have till this evening if I want to at least check one apartment. I won’t have time until after marriage which sucks if you ask me.