ACT TWO - SUMMER

By Summer, I feel confident enough in my farm's ability to run itself to finally indulge in the idea of making friends.

Friends.

That's what I tell myself to explain the way I've begun craving the company of two townspeople in specific.

Just friends, I tell myself every time I enjoy the feeling of Elliott's arm around my shoulder as we laugh over a couple glasses of wine at the Stardrop Saloon. Just friends, I tell myself when I find myself picking up an extra cup of takeout coffee from Gus, knowing how much Harvey loves the stuff.

"Yoba, help me." I plead under my breath as I duck out of the warm summer rain and into the saloon, my eyes instantly landing on Harvey and Elliott leaning against the counter.

The two bachelors have seemed to be interacting more lately, which puts the three of us together most of the time we're here. The alcohol definitely doesn't help me try to figure out my feelings toward either one of them; the close company and blurred lines between companionship and something more getting increasingly overwhelming each time.

Elliott is the first to spot me, and he waves me over, raising a glass of wine in my direction.

"There you are, Dear," Elliott greets me, taking me under his arm as he rubs my shoulders in a fruitless attempt to warm my rain-soaked skin. "We were starting to worry that you'd been swept away by the storm!"

"Oh, ha ha." I mutter dryly, rolling my eyes with a slight smirk as I accept the glass of wine from him and take a long sip.

"You're freezing!" Harvey confirms, his hand lingering on my goose-bumped skin. "I'll order you a coffee, if you'd like..."

"This should do just fine at warming me up." I smile, swirling the burgundy liquid in the sparkling, carefully polished glass.

And warm me, it does.

Harvey treats me to a second glass when I order a plate of spaghetti, and I make it halfway through a third before I'm done for the night. Elliott chuckles as he finishes off his own third glass, and Harvey still nurses his first - and only - glass. He always leaves the drunken antics to Elliott and myself, more than happy to keep an eye on us.

I feel his eyes on me now, so I turn to face him, my knees brushing against his as I twirl lightly back and forth on my stool.

"What is it, Doctor?" I inquire, looking up at him as he loosens his tie a bit, swallowing before he speaks.

"Nothing." He smiles a bit, almost sadly in a way.

"Oh, c'mere, Harvey-" I lean forward, throwing my arms around his shoulders, which makes him chuckle and return my drunken gesture. "Don't be so solemn all the time, try to loosen up a bit... Here, finish my wine for me; I can't bear to have another sip."

"O-" He clears his throat, accepting the glass from me. "Okay. Just because it's the weekend."

"Good man, Harvey!" Elliott shakes Harvey's shoulder encouragingly as he tilts the glass back and finishes my wine in one go.

The saloon shakes with a particularly loud crack of thunder.

Harvey finishes his own wine now, and within a few minutes, I can tell he's feeling the effects. Pinkness spreads up his neck as he is warmed by the alcohol, staining his face with a flush that suits him well. His tie is loosened further, and with the first few buttons of his dress shirt undone, I can see a smattering of coarse brown hair peeking from under the white fabric.

I blush, turning away just a second too late. I know he's caught me, and my face burns even deeper red. I turn to Elliott for an excuse to escape my thoughts, but am met with an equally tempting sight. He has shed his coat, his arms flexing under his white linen shirt as he pulls his long hair into a low bun to get it out of his face, which is glowing from the glasses of wine he's had. A few loose tendrils fall in front of his handsome face, and I look away before I can be caught staring again.