Chapter 5 : Hello again

They both stared back at the other two. Merlin felt lost, paralyzed. His whole body failed him. He wanted to run to her, take her in his arms but he was stuck in that position, staring like a fool.

There standing next to Mordred, who never looked more beautiful and more alive, was Freya.

Morgana, surprised too, noticed that Merlin had stopped breathing, his lips apart. She glanced at Mordred and the young woman. She concluded that her name must be Freya. She did not really care. She leaned closer to Merlin.

"Breath, Merlin," she whispered in his ear, glancing back at the pair. She was puzzled when she saw Freya looking between her and Merlin, taking a step back. The woman glanced at Mordred and nodded to him, she said something to him in a whisper that Morgana couldn't hear, and then practically ran the other way. Without looking back.

Morgana frowned, Merlin's heart sank.

Mordred, chuckling, approached them.

"That went well." He laughed at their expression.

"But she...she ran away." Merlin uttered, astonished, his eyes reflecting both his shock and sadness. Merlin continued to stare; he could still see Freya's back.

"Considering what happened last time she was here, I really do not blame her." Mordred replied. His laughter ceased but the smile remained on his face. "All thanks to mother." He added, patting Merlin in the back.

Merlin and Morgana's eyes doubled in size.

"Your mother is here?" Morgana wondered, her heart beating fast.

"Where is she?" Merlin asked. He and Morgana looked around them.

"I see you two decided to be humorous today." The druid boy raised his eyebrows. He moved closer to Morgana, leaning over, he pressed a gentle kiss to her temple; Morgana did her best not to gasp.

"I need to report to the king, I shall see you later mother." He stated and glanced at Merlin. " Be careful," He smirked at him and walked passed them. Neither of them moved. They turned around watching Mordred leave. They stood there for a couple of seconds, before Morgana ended the pregnant silence as she grabbed Merlin's arm, pulling him out of his state of bewilderment.

"I think I am going to faint" Morgana murmured. Worried, Merlin tightened his hold on her. Together they walked until they found a place where Morgana sat down and Merlin next to her.

"He called me mother." Merlin nodded his head, not really knowing what could be said in the light of this new discovery.

"What do you suppose he meant by that?" Morgana asked, her voice shaky and unsure.

Merlin swallowed hard, so Mordred was alive. Now he had to keep an eye on the druid boy as well. With both Morgana and Mordred in Camelot, Merlin was aware of how difficult his job to keep Arthur safe was. He still didn't trust Morgana completely; he'd be a fool if he would do so in such short time. Yet, he didn't know if Mordred was destined to kill Arthur in this life as well. His mind was churning through many possibilities.

He shook his head. "I don't know, Morgana..." His response was no help to explain the situation.

Morgana folded her hands in her lap, glanced at Merlin, her eyes met his. She could read his confusion

"I need to go...find..." He stuttered. She knew who he was referring to and it made no sense to her the sudden sorrow that washed over his face. To be honest, she didn't care. Whoever this woman was, she appeared to have quite the effect on Merlin. Morgana didn't think much of it. All her mind could focus and hear was the word Mother. The utterance that had came from Mordred's mouth.