Chapter Sixteen - Burning The Candle

In the Emerald Forest, Sasuke trains in solitude. This latest incident with Blake was on his mind. It reminded Sasuke of his own drive to hunt down and kill Itachi. As far as he was concerned, this dance was a waste of time. After a solo training session, Sasuke took a moment to rest. As he rested, he looked to large tree. His mind goes back to a memory with Itachi. It was when Sasuke was a young boy and Itachi took him to a forest just like this one for a training session. The training session was cut short. 

Itachi: No, Sasuke. It's time to go. 

Sasuke(Past): What?! But you promised to teach me that new technique you learned! 

Itachi: It'll have to wait, Sasuke. I have an important mission tomorrow. I must prepare. 

Sasuke(Past): Hhm. You're such a big fat liar....

Itachi looked to his younger brother with a smile on his face. Sasuke then runs up to Itachi, but Itachi pokes him in the forehead. 

Itachi: Sorry, Sasuke. Maybe some other time. 

Sasuke pouted for a moment. A smile soon falls on his face. 

Sasuke(Past): Watch this!

Sasuke attempts to mimic Itachi's technique, but stumbles to the ground, spraining his foot. Itachi then carries Sasuke home on his back. 

Sasuke(Past): That was fun! Will you train with me again?

Itachi: Sure, Sasuke. But I'm going to be assigned missions soon. And you'll soon be attending the Patch Combat School. So we aren't going to have much free time to ourselves anymore. 

Sasuke(Past): That's okay. As long as you can still spend time with me once in a while. 

Itachi: We're flesh and blood, Sasuke. I'll always be there for you, even as an obstacle for you to overcome. That's what big brothers are for. 

As Sasuke reflected on that memory, Sasuke got back on his feet, eager to train again. 

Sasuke: (I swear, Itachi...I will end you and avenge our family....)

???: Hey, Sasuke. 

Sasuke turned around to see Ruby standing nearby. Sasuke simply sighs as he attempts to brush her off. 

Sasuke: What do you want? 

Ruby: I wanted to talk to you about the dance. 

Sasuke: I already told you that I'm not interested. 

Ruby: But, Sasuke....this dance can be good for you! I know how much you want to...

Sasuke: You don't know anything, Ruby. Nothing. 

As Sasuke coldly tells her off, Ruby doesn't relent. 

Ruby: Can you just listen to me please?! I...I know you're not exactly thrilled with being on our team. But...we all need a break once and a while, you know?

Ruby's attempts to get Sasuke to go to the dance only served to annoy him. Sasuke's mind fell back to Itachi and his mission to hunt down to kill him. As Sasuke fell silent, Ruby thought back to what Sasuke first said to her. 

Ruby: When we first met at Beacon, you said that there was a certain someone you wanted to kill. W...who is it? 

As Ruby asked that, Sasuke fell silent. Ruby became uneasy as Sasuke glared back at her. 

Sasuke: It's none of your business. 

Ruby: But...we're a team! Teammates don't keep secrets from each other! Even Blake came clean about her being a Faunus. How about you? 

Sasuke remained silent as he glared at Ruby. 

Sasuke: You're so annoying. 

Ruby paused at Sauske's coldness. 

Ruby: I....I think you're a good person, Sasuke. 

Sasuke: Really? And why do you think that?

Ruby: Because my Mom always taught me to see the best in people. No matter how mean they can be, there's always a chance for them to do some good. 

Sasuke: The world isn't like that, Ruby. Sometimes the people you look up the most can hide the darkest of secrets. And when you least expect it, they show you their true colors. You want my advice, Ruby? Grow up. 

There was an uneasy silence between Sasuke and Ruby. Ruby was unaware of the massacre of Sasuke's family at the hands of Itachi. Despite this, Ruby was determined to get Sasuke to come to the dance. In Ruby's mind, Sasuke was her friend. 

Ruby: I know you don't want to go to the dance. But....you're my friend, Sasuke. I want you to at least have some fun. What kind of team leader would I be if I just let you sit around here and mope? Just....have some fun. Please? 

At this point, it was a back and forth between Sasuke and Ruby. While Sasuke didn't want to go to the dance, he knew Ruby wouldn't stop. 

Sasuke: You're not going to stop, are you? No matter how many times I tell you to go away, you're just going to keep going?

Ruby: Like I said, you're my friend. 

Sasuke: You're so annoying. 

As Sasuke says this, he takes a moment to think on Ruby's words. Despite making it clear that he didn't want to go to the dance, Ruby remained persistent. 

Sasuke: If I go to this dance, will you leave me alone?

Ruby: I mean....I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day. 

Sasuke: Fine. I'll go to the dance. 

Ruby's smile lit up as she hugged Sasuke. Sasuke simply let out an annoyed sigh. In that moment, Sasuke had decided to participate in the Beacon Dance despite still believing that the dance was a waste of time. But what Sasuke didn't know was that the same forces working with Roman Torchwick had plans to infiltrate Beacon Academy by using the Beacon Dance.