21 | All Done (Marco)

"It's all done, sir."

I nod and reply, "Thank you."

I return the phone to its stand, leaning back in my chair with a long, tired sigh. The cleaners have done their job, and the murder is no longer our problem. Now that that's out of the way, I can be angry.

Ella brought a man to her motel room. What were they going to do? How dare she think she can escape the connection we share and waste her first time on a stranger in the middle of the night in middle of nowhere?

She's mine

I'm going to be her first and only, the one who makes her feel like she's shot up through the clouds and landed in heaven. I'm the one she's going to spend the rest of her life with. She'll laugh and smile and cry and scream, because that's what life and relationships are, a cycle of emotions that leave you breathless, but you know it's worth it. We're worth the effort. Doesn't she see that?

Luca walks into my office. "She threatened to jump out of the window. I couldn't tell if she was serious or not."

I groan, rubbing my temples. "This is a fucking mess."

"Hey, she can't be mad at you for that long. I'm the one who killed him."

"It doesn't matter who shot him." I begin to pace, hands clasped behind my back. "I gave the order. I looked her in the eye and kicked the phone away when she wanted to call for help."

"And she willingly came with us and let his murder get covered up. She destroyed any chance of his family getting closure and justice. She's at fault, too. Not nearly as much, but she's no saint."

He's right. Ella is selfish. She left me behind -- that's why all this is happening. And she came here out of a sense of self-preservation because she didn't want to go to prison, even though the right thing to do would have been to stay behind, call the police, and apologize to the agent's family.

She may not be as wicked as me, but in time...she'll be a proper mafia wife. I'll see to it.