Chapter 51

Did we go on a walk? Yes.

Did it go to plan? No, but we definitely enjoyed every moment of it.

When we had eventually reached the bank of the river Thames, it was quite late, meaning very few people were around. There were the odd few couples and groups sat on the grass, just past where the London Eye was, which by the way was beautiful at night, I was so glad Charles had brought me here to see it.

Charles wanted to head over to where the grassy area was so that we could sit down and just enjoy the peace and quiet for a moment. When we got over there, he did get approached by a few of the very few people that were there and as always he gave them his time to sign things and take photos. They were very polite and once they had got what they wanted they just went and sat or stood back where they were. In all honesty, after about half an hour everybody had cleared off, except from the odd one person walking by every now and then, leaving me and Charles on our own.

This is where it didn't go to plan. We hadn't looked at the weather before we decided to go on a walk because that's not really something you do anyway unless your going somewhere for the whole day. So for this hour we had already been out, the weather was fine but after we'd been sat on the grass for a little, talking about the most random things that came to each of our minds, it started to spit. Drops fell slowly at first, that slow that we didn't notice them until it was starting to get heavy.

Charles was dressed a little more appropriately for rain as he had his black puffer coat on but me, no. I was wearing my jumper and only my jumper because I wasn't expecting a change in weather. It had been quite warm outside, muggy actually, so I chose against bringing my own coat because I thought I would've been carrying it around.

Our plan was going to be to try and beat the rain. We were ready to get our jog on back to the hotel, which wasn't the closest thing to us right now, but mother nature had different plans. Within minutes of us starting to walk, with a little bit of speed, back to the hotel, the rain that was heavy but still not that bad, decided to turn into raindrops that absolutely soaked you. We had walked here really slow and that had taken us 45 minutes so at a normal pace, the hotel was still about 30 minutes away, not really ideal.

"Alena, are you not freezing?" Charles asked as my hair started to drip it was that wet.

"I am not cold, I am wet," I said to him. I was right though, the air was still warm, it was the rain that was the issue.

Charles being the gentleman he was, took his coat off and passed it to me. I was reluctant to take the coat because I was already dripping wet so the coat wasn't going to protect me from the rain when it had already got to me. Plus, Charles didn't need to join me in being dripping wet. He obviously didn't agree with my unwillingness as he placed the coat on me himself, zipping it up and everything, like I was his child or something.

"It'll keep you warm, ma cheri."

That, he wasn't wrong about. Even though I was soaked, head to toe, the coat was like a heater and basically dried me by the time we reached the hotel. My hair was nowhere near dry though, it was all over the place. It had raindrops dropping off the ends of it and when I took Charles' coat off in the room, along with my jumper as well, I could feel my hair wetting all my back.

I stood near where the door of our hotel room was and because I was paying more attention to hanging up his coat, that kept falling off of the hook, it meant I wasn't paying attention to him. When I turned around, he had already removed his shirt, his hair fell in front of his face a little as it dripped with water. Because the rain had been that heavy, it had soaked through his clothes, so his body had a bit of a shine to it due to it being wet.