Chapter 3

Within minutes after sending that message he had replied telling me to meet him at 6 near the bottom of the hill. It was currently 5:47 and I was rushing to get into clothes more comfortable for the walk as i'd got back home from dinner later than I had intended to. It took me 15 minutes to walk from my house to where he wanted to meet so I knew that I wouldn't be on time unless I ran to the location.

At 5:53 I had finally left the house and was walking up streets in a hurry as I didn't want him to believe I wasn't coming. I would've messaged telling him i'd be late but I hoped that I somehow got there on time. By 6:05 where I was meeting him was in sight and I was confused as I didn't see him standing there. He may of left as I wasn't there on the dot but I usually had a ten minute rule where I would give people ten minutes past the planned time and if they wasn't there then I would leave but he wasn't me so I couldn't
speak for him.

I started to think he had already been and left or he just wasn't turning up until I saw him walking towards me from the opposite way to what I had come. I felt better knowing I was late now as he was much later than me arriving at 6:16. He had an I'm sorry look on his face and before I could say hi he beat me to it "bonjour , I apologise that i'm late, I had an unexpected call off of my manager and he wouldn't stop talking" he laughed. I could see in his eyes that he was waiting for my response.

"It's fine, I was late anyway. I thought I would be the one having to apologise to you" I smiled. He returned the smile immediately as he moved his bandana higher up his forehead, which had fell down a bit.

"So are you ready to go?" he said pointing his head towards the trail that went up the hill. I nodded my head and we set off.

At first we were walking in a somewhat awkward silence, both of us looking at the floor avoiding being the person to start the conversation. I focused on the noise of the gravel moving beneath our feet as I could see him . Soon the awkwardness seemed to disappear with him starting the conversation. "So, how are you today?" he asked.

"Better, I think i'm more irritated now than I am upset" I told him, whilst I tucked some strands of hair behind my ear which were being blown in front of face by the wind. "How are you" I returned the question.

"I'm good but if you don't mind me asking, what happened with your ex boyfriend? You said you guys broke up, right?" I could tell he was trying to be polite as possible asking this question.

"He cheated.." I said in a slightly awkward tone, I didn't like admitting that someone I cared about had done something like that as I felt people would look at me like I was an idiot. "...He was at a yacht party and invited me but I was so tired after work so I refuses the invite and then yesterday morning pictures were everywhere" I laughed thinking about the stupidness of how involved people were involved in others lives on social media.

"Oh I definitely stick by what I said yesterday then, he is an idiot" he joked, which made me laugh knowing he was trying his best to put light on the situation "I don't want to cross any line Alena but you are a pretty girl and I think I have an idea of who this boy is as i've seen a lot of videos on social media lately, you could do better." It wasn't shocking knowing that he'd probably seen the video as like I said it was absolutely everywhere.

"Merci" I know he said it without any thought behind it but I had no idea how to respond to him calling me pretty. The way he said it with confidence and no doubt made my cheeks get hot and I prayed that the feeling wasn't a visible one to him.

It was getting darker and we were reaching to top of the hill as he hummed a song to himself. Soon realising what he was doing as I saw him look at me remembering he had company through the corner of my eye. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself slightly at him leading to him pushing his side into mine before he offered me his other airpod. "Don't judge my music choice if you take it" he said.