Part Twelve

The courthouse was small and too quiet. It wasn't at all what Eddie was expecting. His lawyer, a man Eddie only ever referred to as Mr. Williams, had met him briefly in the hallway outside of the courtroom where a judge would be hearing his case. He shook hands with Eddie, Wayne, and Steve before excusing himself to find out where they would need to leave Lucy during the proceedings.

"I'll go wait outside," Wayne announced as Mr. Williams rounded a corner. "Make sure the girls don't get lost trying to find us when they get here."

Eddie nodded. He knew that was an excuse. The Hawkins courthouse was barely larger than most people's houses. Only two court rooms, a restroom, a small waiting area, and a few other doors that led to rooms that Eddie had no idea about. But he also knew that his uncle probably just needed to get away. Get some fresh air and another Camel in his system before their day started. So he simply nodded and watched him walk through the glass doors.

"How are we feeling?" Steve asked quietly.

"I'm fucking scared, man," Eddie answered, moving Lucy from one arm to the other.

"Hey," Steve whispered. He put his hands on either side of Eddie's jaw, his fingers tucking behind his neck, under the ponytail his lawyer had insisted he pulled his hair back in. "It's gonna be okay, yeah? I'm not gonna let her take Lucy."

Eddie appreciated how sure he sounded. Both he and Wayne had been by his side over the last month. Neither of them would let Eddie think about what would happen if things didn't work out, if they could help it. They were both so confident that Billie wouldn't win. That Lucy would come home with him when it was all said and done. He didn't always know if they were right, but their never ending certainty and moral boosts did not go unappreciated by Eddie.

"Want me to hold her?" Steve asked.

Lucy seemed to understand. Her arms reached out to him as soon as the question left his lips. She let out an excited squeal once she was in his arms. Both Eddie and Steve smiled along with her. For just a moment it would have been easy to forget why they were here. Why they were dressed in stupid suits bought for the occasion. Standing in a too quiet hallway while they waited for the day neither of them wanted to be happening to end.

But then, as quickly as she'd appeared at the truck stop a month ago, Billie was standing down the hallway. She looked, for the first time since he met her, like the money she came from. Her matching skirt and blazer were tailored. The expensive looking jewels on her neck and wrists put Eddie's clearance rack outfit to shame. She wore a wide smile as she walked towards them, her arms extended.

"Lucy!" She cried too loudly. "Come to mama, baby!"

Lucy shrunk into Steve's chest. Her giggles died as she wrapped one arm around Steve's back, her other hand tangling tightly into the lapel of his jacket. She rested her head against his chest, her eyes never leaving Billie. Steve's hand on her side moved to wrap around her back, his large hand almost covering her torso completely as he held her even tighter to himself. He was letting Billie and everyone else know that he was not going to hand Lucy over to her.

"Really, Eddie?" She asked, her arms dropping as she turned her attention to him. "You turned my own daughter against me?"

"She isn't against you. She just doesn't know you."

"Oh," she scoffed. "And she knows…him?" She finished, her tone sharp as she gave Steve a once over.

Before either of them could answer a man that Eddie assumed was her lawyer was at her side. He placed his hand on the small of her back, ushering her away with a whisper of her name. Eddie and Steve turned in unison to watch them disappear through a door, waiting for the lock to click behind them.