part ten

It had been so long since Eddie had been able to do something like this. Even before Lucy was born, he'd never been able to drive around like this in the city. The traffic was always a nightmare and there wasn't that same empty road, nowhere to go type of energy. It was nice. It made him feel young again. And having Steve along for the ride was even nicer, like he was now allowed to have those moments with his crush that he missed out on in high school.

They talked quietly as they drove through town. Lucy was out like a light in the back seat, but there was still an air of caution, lest she wake up and they have to end the night early. Neither of them would be mad, of course. They both loved Lucy. But they wanted to stretch their time together as long as possible.

Eddie pulled off the road near the deserted woods that surrounded the lake. His headlights illuminated the trees as the sun set behind them. He cut the engine and spared a glance to the back seat. Lucy was still peacefully sleeping, her head leaned over onto her shoulder as her mouth slacked open.

Steve opened his door first, closing it behind him as carefully as possible. Eddie followed his lead and soon both men were sat side by side on the trunk of Eddie's car. They both lit a cigarette, sharing Eddie's old Zippo to light them.

"Nice night," Steve commented as they looked into the dark trees on the other side of the empty road in front of them. His arms rested on his knees, his feet propped up on the rusted bumper.

"Yeah," Eddie sighed. "Missed stuff like this."

"Like what?" Steve asked. Eddie looked over to him as he brought his cigarette to his lips. The cherry at the end glowed just a bit brighter as he inhaled.

"Just, this," he answered, gesturing with both arms stretched in front of him. "The city is so hectic. You'd never be able to find just like, a place like this. Empty, ya know?"

Steve nodded. He flicked at the butt of his cigarette with his thumb, watching as the ashes floated away on the soft breeze that blew around them. He'd had a reason for wanting to bring Eddie out tonight. His mind was racing as he did his best to appear calm. He finished his cigarette, taking two more long hits before tucking the used butt between his thumb and middle finger, sending it flying into the road in front of him.

"Can I, uh-" he started, confidence faltering. "Can I be real with you for a second?"

Eddie nodded, his eyes fixed on Steve. Steve took a deep breath through his mouth, smiling to himself when he realized how anxious he was. He pulled another cigarette from the pack between them. As he blew the smoke out of the corner of his mouth, he flexed his free hand between his knees.

"Did you ever wonder why I asked you not to leave?"

Eddie didn't answer right away. His empty hand balled itself into a loose fist, his other hand wrapping around it. He had wondered why. He had wondered what Steve was going to say that night behind The Hideout.

"Figured you'd miss me or something."

"Yeah," Steve scoffed. "Or something. Look, man. I had like, the biggest fuckin' crush on you back then."

The confession seemed to shock both of them. Steve was shocked to have finally said the words out loud. Eddie was shocked to be hearing them, something that his friends had picked on him for now being confirmed.

"And I was scared, because I didn't want to like, ruin whatever friendship we had. So I never said anything, right? I just showed up every week and watched you play your songs and told myself that it was a stupid crush that would go away.

"But it didn't. Not in the five years you were gone. It kinda, I don't know, hid away for a bit. Like when you weren't right in front of me, I was able to pretend you didn't exist. I convinced myself that it was a stupid crush because we were kids and that I should move on."