Part Eight

Friday night for Steve meant a trip to Melvald’s and a sleepover with Robin at his apartment. It had been more or less routine for at least three years at this point and today was no exception. He parked outside her apartment building just before sunset and waited. He always picked her up at the exact same time, but she always managed to forget.

“Ya know, you could just drive yourself to my place,” he sighed once she had set her bag in the back and taken her spot in the passenger seat.

“And miss out on these precious bonding moments with you, my loving husband?”

“Shut up,” he groaned. “I still can’t believe he thought that."

"You can't believe it? What about me?" She cried, hands flailing around her. "He doesn't even know me and he just assumed I have bad taste."

"Oh, you don't have bad taste?" Steve asked accusingly. "Did you really already forget about the great Amanda debacle of '89? Hmm?"

Robin turned in her seat to stare at him, her eyes wide. "Okay, first of all, that was a low blow."

"I'm sorry," he answered, not sorry at all.

"And second of all, why are we bringing up my dating history when you're the one who still has a crush on the same guy five years later but you still refuse to do anything about it?"

Steve was quiet now. His lips drew into a tight line as his eyes shifted to his side mirror. The only sound in the suddenly silent car was the click of his turn signal. Robin sighed as he turned left off of her street towards the grocery store in the center of town.

"I'm sorry," she told him quietly. "That was too far. I know you're going through like, a thing about it or whatever." He was still quiet, focused on the road. "Forgive me, Stebie," she pouted, jutting out her bottom lip and opening her blue eyes wide as she stared at him.

"Don't call me that," he told her. "And I'm not going through a thing, okay. I just- I just don't know."

The rest of the ride to the store was quiet. Robin watched houses pass her by through the windshield. She knew better than anyone what Steve was going through, and she also knew why he was handling it the way he was. Telling someone that you have feelings for them is tough. It’s even tougher when that person is the same gender as you, putting yourself at risk.

The pair made their way around the busy grocery store fairly quickly, having perfected their route over weeks of practicing. Robin went left to grab chips and cookies. Steve went right to get drinks and candy. Then they’d meet at the register and make small talk with Gerald while he rang them out. It was a pretty good system if you asked either of them.

Once they were back at Steve’s small, sparsely decorated apartment they laid out their haul in the living room. Robin pulled a tape from her bag and set it on top of the TV to be put in when they were ready.

“Seriously?” Steve asked with a groan when he caught the cover of the tape out of the corner of his eye. “Grease? Fucking again?”

“Olivia Newton-John is stupid hot at the end and you know it,” she defended.

“So I have to sit through the entire stupid thing so you can crush on her for the last five minutes?”

Robin stopped what she was doing and turned to face him. “You like the movie, too. I know you do. Every time I pick it you’re over there singin’ your little heart out.” Steve felt a warm blush fall over his cheeks as he shook his head at the accusation. “Yeah, exactly. So quit crybabying and order the food. Please.”

Robin changed into sweats and one of Steve's shirts while he called Chang's. Tyler, the owner's son, knew their order by memory. All Steve had to say was "Hey, man," and Tyler was telling him with a laugh that his cousin would be there in 10.