Part Eleven

Two months after they confessed their feelings to each other on the back of Eddie's car, they were still as close as ever. Eddie had been worried when he dropped Steve off at the shop that night. He watched as Steve sat behind the wheel of his car, his headlights illuminating the side of the building before he waved Eddie off. The whole drive home he'd been worried about what would happen next as Lucy slept behind him.

But the following day, Steve showed up for lunch at the truck stop. The guys shared a cup of coffee after Eddie clocked out. It was like nothing had changed. He was able to breathe a sigh of relief that night.

And really, nothing did change. Steve never made Eddie feel bad about not being able to reciprocate his feelings. Eddie never felt like Steve was upset or disappointed. It was nice. They spent time together when they could. More often than not, it was lukewarm dinners at Eddie's, or joyriding in one of their cars while Lucy slept.

Now, the weather was starting to change. The temperatures were dropping to comfortable during the day, and downright chilly once the sun set. October was officially here, and with it came all manner of fall fun.

"We should take Lu to a pumpkin patch," Steve suggested as he sipped his drink.

"What? Why?" Eddie asked, wiping his cloth over the counter between them. "Don't know if you noticed but she's roughly the same size as a pumpkin."

"Oh, come on, ya big grump," Steve laughed. "It'll be fun! Hayrides, hot chocolate, pumpkins. An afternoon with your favorite friend and your favorite daughter."

"I only have one of each," Eddie laughed.

"Let me have my win, Munson."

Eddie thought about the idea. Steve might be right, he thought. It could be fun to do something other than hang out at home. And Lucy would love a hayride. Well, maybe. She's never seen hay before. Just as he was about to speak again, to offer Steve a soft 'maybe' a voice he'd forgotten about sounded from the front door on the other side of the large room.

"Hey, rockstar."

Steve looked up from his plate just in time to watch the color drain from Eddie's face. Eddie almost always wore a bright smile, his cheeks dimpling. Sometimes, if Steve said the right things, a slight blush would color his cheeks and ears. But now, there was nothing. His face was white as paper and his expression was completely blank. Emotionless.

"Billie."

Steve had heard the name. Billie was Lucy's mother. The woman who had made Eddie quit the band and then left him alone in a dirty apartment with Lucy when she was barely three weeks old. Any time he'd heard her name before it was either spoken with venom or over a deep sigh. But now, the two syllables fell off Eddie's tongue in a confused, almost disbelieving way. He turned in his seat towards the door. She was pretty, he noticed.

Her hands were stuffed into the pockets of a beige jacket as she smiled sheepishly to Eddie. Her tight, light colored jeans reminded him of the dress she'd worn the night they met. His eyes narrowed as she began to walk over to the counter. He never thought he'd see her again. Never wanted to see her again. But here she was. In Hawkins. At his job.

She walked to the counter, coming to a stop a few seats down from where Steve was finishing his lunch. Eddie felt his mouth go dry as he watched her sit down.

"What are you doing here, Belinda?"

"Belinda?" She asked with a smile. "You never called me that. You gonna start calling me Miss Holbrook, too?"

"Why are you here?"

Eddie was not in the mood for pleasantries. His harsh stance and stern tone reminded Steve of when they were in school together. When Eddie had adopted a persona of intimidation. It seemed so strange to Steve to be seeing it now.