Dream a little dream of me

Zacznij od początku

"Look, I got to go. Be careful. And remember, there is sublimating and then there is insanity." Caroline speaks again.

"I'll be fine. Bye." Stefan says before hanging up the phone.

———

Caroline and I were making yet another trip around the venue to make sure everything was in place.

I looked behind me in confusion as Caroline came to a stop.

I followed her gaze to see Elena arranging some flowers on the table.

"Caroline I don't think we should..." I start, but before I could finish speaking she had already started walking over to her.

I follow behind quickly, sending Elena a sympathy smile as she looked at us in confusion.

"Look, I'm your best friend and I would never pick sides, but are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soulmate." Caroline says.

Elena simply stares at Caroline.

"Sorry. Picking sides." Caroline mutters.

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense." Elena responds.

"Yeah, I know. Stefan filled us in on all the gory Damon details." Caroline grimaces.

"He did?" Elena asks guiltily. I nod softly.

"Is he okay?" Elena asks after the silent pause.

"No, he's heartbroken." Caroline answers.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Lie to him?" Elena asks rhetorically.

"No, but you weren't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into your confused newbie vampire heart." Caroline shrugs.

"Well, he did and that's exactly what I am. Confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean." Elena replies.

"Or you could just bury them way deep deep down." Caroline suggests.

"What? So I can't have feelings for Damon, but she can have her disgusting relationship with her monster of a boyfriend?" Elena snaps, pointing at me.

"Elena!" Caroline scolds.

"I thought we were past the whole bully thing Elena." I say, awkwardly picking at the skin around my fingers.

"Sorry. I'm just irritated. Old habits die hard I guess." She apologizes.

That worries me.

Elena may be acting civil right now, but how long before she gets fed up and reverts back to how we were before?

"Excuse me, I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants." A male voice says, taking me from my thoughts.

"You're Professor Shane." Elena guesses.

There's a moment of silence where he just seems to be staring at me with awe.

I get a little uncomfortable under his gaze and start shifting my weight between my feet.

Caroline seems to notice my awkward stance as she grabs my hand and raises her eyebrow at professor Shane.

"Yeah, that's right. Professor by day; pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I'm apparently awarding a scholarship." Shane speaks, finally coming out of his dazed state.

"Uh, inside by the parlor." Caroline directs him.

"Right in here?" He clarifies, pointing at the house.