"Screw you." I growl in a low voice.

———

After that, Stefan decided one of them needed to keep moving to get Nik's body away from Alaric, because if Alaric killed Nik for good, most of the vampires in mystic falls would perish with him due to the bloodline.

Stefan also decided he would be the one to go back to mystic falls.

He gave me the options of staying with Damon, or going with him. I wanted to make sure Nik got there alright, but I don't think I could've made it another second with Damon, so Stefan and I ventured back to our little town.

I wanted to go home, but Stefan didn't think I'd be safe from Alaric by myself, so here I was, walking into the Gilbert house with him.

Stefan enters the house and quickly walks across the room towards Elena.

Elena gets up from the couch and walks towards him, pulling the vampire into a tight hug.

"Stefan." She sighs in relief.

"Hey." He greets with a soft smile.

———

I sit next to Elena who is lying on the couch, while Matt and Stefan are in the kitchen.

"I'm being over coddled. I feel completely fine." Elena complains.

"You're on house arrest. You're supposed to be coddled." Stefan says.

"I'm sorry Nik made you hit your head." I mumble an apology to Elena.

"I'm sorry about Klaus. I can see that he really loves you." Elena responds, resting her hand over mine.

"He's a really sweet guy when he wants to be." I smile gently at the thought of my boyfriend.

"Hey, wouldn't it be smarter if we just got you the hell out of town?" Matt interrupts from the kitchen.

"And do what? Go on the run for the rest of my life? No thank you." Elena sighs and gets up. "And I'm not an invalid. I'm done with the couch."

I sit alone on the couch, picking at the skin around my fingernails.

I can hear Matt and Stefan talking in the kitchen, but I'm too focused on my fingers to make out the words.

I watch intently as cherry red blood pools onto my nail.

It had been a long time since I drew blood doing that. Nik usually laced our fingers together before it would get that far.

I didn't even notice I was crying until a tear fell onto my nail. The blood mixing with the salty water.

"Stefan." Elena calls, bringing me out of my trance.

I wipe my eyes and look to the doorway where she stood. I pause as I take in the sight with wide eyes.

"Eli!" I squeal excitedly, running into his open arms.

"Hello again, my dear." He mumbles against the top of my head.

———

All of us stood in the kitchen as Elijah proposed a plan.

I held tightly onto his hand, worried he'd be gone again if I let go.

"All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us." Elijah explains.

"And you'll just run?" Stefan questions, taking a seat next to Elena.

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena is able to live out the rest of her natural life?" Elijah answers.