Mending relationships

Start from the beginning

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I was just trying to be kind to everyone." I say.

"I know. And I am sorry. I know it doesn't mean much after years of my behavior, but I needed to say it."

"It means a lot actually." I answer.

She smiles gently.

"Do you know what's funny?" I ask.

"What?" She questions.

"When we we're little, I wanted to be your friend more than anything. So whenever I was around you I'd be ten times nicer, which is probably why you thought I was perfect." I explain.

"Well I don't know if we could go from enemies to friends in one day, but we can start." She offers

"I'd like that."

———

After my talk with Elena, we had both gone to the high school

Which is why I was currently walking with Elena and Caroline, making our way through the gym hall which is being decorated for the Dance.

Caroline clutches her clipboard that she uses because she is in charge of the preparations.

The job was supposed to be Rebekah's but she blew it off.

"So, Alaric is trying to pull himself together, why is that a bad thing?" Caroline adds onto our ongoing conversation.

"I just...I wish there was something I could do." Elena says. She then picks up a chandelier decoration. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?" She asks, a confused expression resting on her face.

"You know what, if Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrousity she should have shown up to do it herself." Caroline grumbles, handing the chandelier to a student who was walking by. "Just no!"

Caroline sees Matt and Jeremy hanging up stars on the ceiling. God help 'em because if you don't decorate something right Caroline might actually rip your head off.

"What are you doing? You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down." Caroline scolds.

"Trickle, duh!" Matt says as if he knew it the whole time.

I gave the boys a thumbs up and mouthed the words "good job"

"Look at them all bromancy." Caroline says, referring to Matt and Jeremy.

"Yeah I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust. He got him his old job back at the Grill." Elena explains.

"That was nice of him." I comment.

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." Elena says.

"You sure it has nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline asks.

"Are you serious?!" I gasp.

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it." Elena groans.

"Is he a good kisser? I've always kinda wondered. And it would actually be hilarious if he was bad." I question.

"I am so not talking about this." Elena says, hiding her face in her hands.

"She's not answering, so it's a yes." Caroline chimes in.

"Thank you so much for interpreting Caroline." Elena mutters sarcastically.

"Aww, what are friends for? So who are you bringing to the dance?" Caroline changes the subject.