Flowers and phone calls

Start from the beginning

"Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?" Bonnie asks.

I raise my hand, earning a smile from Bonnie.

"Okay. So prank night was a bust. But we are accepting it, and we are moving on." Caroline says, trying to pump us up.

"You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?" Bonnie asks sarcastically.

"Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day." Caroline adds.

I scratch the back of my neck, looking towards the sky. I felt just the tiniest bit guilty about that.
But then again, Tyler did accuse me of being a "blood donating slut" one time so...

"Today's our anniversary. Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year." Elena states.

"Yeah. You win." Caroline responds sympathetically.

My eyebrows furrow. That was definitely the most underwhelming one.

I look at the girls who were now staring at me expectantly.

"Oh my turn?" I ask, earning nods from Caroline and Bonnie.

"Uhh, let's see...oh! I know. I wanted fruity pebbles but Damon only had this nasty health cereal, so I had to suffer through that breakfast this morning. Why does he even buy that anyway? He's dead."

"God, can you be serious for like two seconds? You act like a three year old." Elena spits out.

"Pump the brakes buddy. It was just a joke." I hold my hands up in surrender.

"Why were you at Damon's anyway?" Elena asks accusingly.

"Oh, my Dad left town for...ever, I guess? So it's just me now. Damon said I could stay at his house. Hmm, maybe that would've been the better story to go with instead of the cereal."

Elena rolls her eyes as I get looks of sympathy from Bonnie and Caroline. I didn't need sympathy though. I was better off without him.

"Are you sure you want to be here?" Bonnie asks me supportively.

Before I can answer Elena does instead.

"I have to be here. I have to put it behind me. New year. New life." She then walks off, heading toward the school.

Caroline, Bonnie, and I all look at each other in disbelief before we follow after Elena.

———

I watch as Elena walks down the hall.

She tries to just keep walking by me as I stand by my locker, but a voice coming from right beside us stops her in her tracks.

"Hello girls." Stefan greets with a fake smile.

I also notice that for some weird reason, he's holding a bouquet of flowers.

I look at Elena, who wears the same nervous expression as me.

"What are you doing here?" Elena questions him.

"What do you mean? I'm going back to school. Go timberwolves!" Stefan answers, pumping his fist as he jokingly cheers on the school.

"What? Why?" I ask in confusion.

"Klaus want me to keep an eye on you two. I'm under very specific orders. For Elena, all I have to do is make sure she stays alive. As for Ivy...if she so much as gets a paper cut, I'm supposed to report back."