Book One Finale: Desideratum

Start from the beginning

That was until something new caught your eye. Your brow knitted and heart rate quickened. Why are they? You pointed, unknowingly speaking under your breath with eyes boring holes into the photos. "Why are they missing fingers? They are not dead, why are they missing-" You scrolled down, faster and confused looking over the photos of hands. There were only four of them, but still you questioned why they had missing fingers. Why are they wearing the killer's signature? You cleared your throat. "Is it them?...No." You answered your own question. "How are they connected?" Your eyes snapped up to his.

"They won't see the sun until they say; and that's not my call. I can let you know when I hear something."

"Okay...can I ask you something else?"

"If I can ask you something first." He reached out, taking the tablet from you.

"What is it?" You asked, watching him poke around more. Eventually, he turned it to you, a video of you playing during the fight. You snorted, hand shooting up to muffle your laugh at the clip of you beating someone with Faust's arm. "What's happening here?" Yagi's pointing and light tapping at the screen did not help. Your shoulders shook more violently every time you tried to open your mouth to explain.

"Take your time."

You took a deep breath, shaking off any of the smile that lingered on your cheeks. "He can uhm," You motioned with your hands, the backs of your fingers rubbing against the sides of your rib cage. "Faust has his primary arms and another set that comes from here." You paused to think. "They can drop the secondary pair and regrow them, like a lizard's tail, but a lot faster. It's the same with the primary, but it takes longer for them to grow back. So he kinda threw me... and sent his arm too," You chuckled, "And I used it-"

"To make this guy cry?" Yagi zoomed in on the villain's face. You looked away, your own face scrunching from another laugh bubbling up your throat. "That part wasn't intentional, I swear. Can I ask my question now, please?" You said through broken giggles.

"Sure."

You turned back, only for him to have zoomed in closer on the guy's face, close enough to see the lips quivering. "Toshi, listen."

"I am, ask away."

You took another deep breath, fanning your heated cheeks with your hands. "What happened to that thing? Where is it now?"

"The big one?"

"Mhm." You nodded, scooting closer, expecting him to show you something else on the tablet relating to it. "I don't know." He shrugged. "Quit playing with me." You huffed. "I'm serious, it didn't land. At least I haven't seen it land," He set a hand on his chest. "And if it has no one's told me."

"Well what was it? Because it definitely wasn't a person."

"No it was not." The hero gave a tired sigh and set his tablet on the bedside table, turning back to you. "Some, uh," he scratched the back of his head, looking for a word appropriate enough for the situation. Didn't happen. "Leftovers were sent in for testing."

You snorted. "Leftovers? 'Specimens' didn't make the cut?"

"I think what I said really painted the picture."

"It did." You nodded. "What was found?"

"Lots of spliced shit. They can't pinpoint what they're looking at right now."

You hummed, pinching your chin at the mention of the ominous 'they' again. "I'm hoping for an answer soon. That was...disturbing to say the least." The sound of it calling for help replayed in your mind along with the image of it poking its head through windows looking for survivors. You sighed out an 'okay' and moved towards the edge of the bed. "I won't bother ya any longer. Thanks for the info."