36

Wren Ridley

My fingers tapped on the steering wheel as I drove Robin back to the airport later that night. It was like I couldn't get them to stop even if I tried. I didn't have a handle on my mind, and they had a mind of their own.

Robin and I were silent for a little while. I had a book playing, trying to lose my mind in anything other than my reality at the moment. But Robin was a talker, so it didn't last long.

"This was a really fun few days. I'm kinda sad it's over," Robin said, glancing over at me.

I was glad it was enjoyable for one of us. For me it was anything but. It was like these short few days had completely derailed my life. My relationship with Fox, my relationship with Landon, both were completely turned around. For the first time in a long time, my life felt completely out of my control. That was why I tended not to let others have a stake in my life. It made things too unpredictable.

"So is everything okay with you and Fox?" Robin asked after I didn't reply.

I scoffed. "What do you think?"

Robin shot me an awkward smile like that was the exact answer he expected.

"He'll come around," he said.

"I don't think he will."

I knew if it ever came to this, Fox finding out, that it would end poorly. He was never going to be okay with me being with Landon. I never expected him to find out, or for my relationship with Landon to last long enough for Fox to find out.

"He was bitching at me about you last night," Robin said. "I told you it was bold to wear Landon's sweatshirt to the game."

I rolled my eyes. "It's not like I expected to see him after the game. He shouldn't have been in the locker room." He was the one that told me not to even go, so why would I plan on seeing him afterward?

"Look, I know you two like to be at each other's throats, but I think maybe if Fox realized what Landon meant to you he'd be more understanding."

I shook my head and let out a sigh. Robin clearly misunderstood my relationship with Fox entirely. We didn't like being on each other's nerves; it was just how we were. Fox didn't care if Landon meant something to me. He saw my relationship with him as an act of betrayal. It didn't matter how I felt.

"You don't know what Landon means to me," I told him.

Robin shot me a knowing look. He was always so perceptive, one of the only people who could catch me in my lies.

"I wasn't born yesterday," he said. "You don't have to tell me anything, but I know this wouldn't be as big of a deal if you two were just friends."

I didn't say anything. Robin could believe what he wanted to believe.

The two of us didn't say anything else until I pulled into the airport and pulled off to the side to let Robin out.

"Well, I'll see you in a few weeks," Robin said, pulling his bag from the backseat. "Try to make up with Fox by Christmas, at least for Mom's sake. She hates when you two are fighting."

"Fly into Boston next time and take the train home," I said, no emotion in my tone. I was done talking about Fox with him. I was done talking at all. The sooner he got out of my car so I could be by myself, the better.

Robin let out a sigh but smiled at me anyway.

"Bye, Wren. Love you."

I gave him a two finger wave and waited until he was in the building before pulling away.