Chapter Seven

Four months later

September

"So you're going to hang out with Jake today," Sophie asks Bradley over the phone. She and Rebound were currently on an aircraft carrier somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico and they had a little bit of free time at the moment. They had finished up their four-week instructing course and were currently test-piloting some newer models with new technology. They were both excited to see what new advancements would be on this jet.

"Yeah, we both have an off day, so I figured we could get a couple of beers at the Hard Deck. He hasn't been that bad lately."

Hangman had been stationed in Miramar this past month and he and Rooster had been hanging out occasionally. Mostly just a beer together here and there, nothing too crazy. They had been trying to get to know one another better for Sophie's benefit. Neither of them had any plans of leaving her life, so they figured they should build off of what started to look like a semi-friendship at the end of their detachment training.

Sophie laughs lightly into the phone before getting a little serious. "Can you just watch out for him today?"

"Umm sure," he answers with confusion laced in his voice, "But what exactly am I watching out for?"

"Today is just a tough day for him. It's not my place to say why, but could you just make sure he's okay?"

"Of course."

They make some more small talk, updating each other on work things and other life stuff. Being in San Diego, Rooster was able to spend more time with Mav which he was enjoying after all the lost years. Sophie smiled as he was telling her a story about how they had helped Penny fix something on her sailboat. She was happy that they had reconciled. It was clear that Bradley was happier now that he had him back in his life. Almost as if he had filled a hole that had been missing in his life for a while now.

Rebound motions towards his watch saying that time was ticking down. Begrudgingly, she finishes up her conversation before getting off the phone with him. "I've gotta go, but I'll talk to you soon. I love you."

"I love you too. Be safe."

"Always am," she says in a sing-song voice before hanging up.

Rebound shakes his head with a small laugh, watching them on the phone. He still couldn't believe that it had taken them so long to get together. "I've never seen you so happy," her backseater says after a moment of silence.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy before," she replies honestly.

They head towards the flight deck where they'll be beginning their test piloting for the day. They'd been working with a couple of different jets, but today they were finally able to fly the newest model. They were excited about it, to say the least.

"You're doing the damn thing too, you know? The long-distance while being in the Navy. You're making things work and you're doing a pretty fan fucking tastic job," he says.

Sophie lets out a laugh. "It doesn't come without its challenges, but it has been going well." She turns her head to Rebound, curious as to why he's brought this all up. "You could do it too. If you really wanted," she nudges him in the arm with her elbow.

He shrugs his shoulders, "Maybe for the right person."

"What about that girl you were seeing around Valentine's Day?"

"Nah," he says waving his hand, "She was fine, but like I said, it was very casual."

The two aviators come to the aircraft they would be flying. They both admire its beauty before putting on their helmets and climbing in. They had a team on the ground doing the pre-flight check while they were getting everything ready on the inside. Razor switched on the engine, hearing its roar above everything else on the ship, while Rebound switched on the weapons system. They were both impressed with the sleekness of the inside. It was an upgrade compared to the F-18s. Though, she did hold a special place in her heart for those particular jets.