prologue.

Welcome to the crow and the beast story!

I would like to take this chapter to tell you a little about what this story will be about.

this story will use the characters of the shadow and bone series on Netflix meaning they will be around the same age as they are in the series. I do not own any of these characters!

furthermore I would like to tell you that this book will not be about the stories seen In the books or the series, they will follow my own character named Cara and the story of how she falls in love with the bastard of the barrel that is kaz brekker.

Cara is a shape shifter, a power I have added into this universe for the sake of originality.

shapeshifting is the power to transform into a pre-determined animal bound by blood. Meaning that if both your parents are a wolf the only possible outcome for the children would be the wolf. However if the parents have different animals that means that the children will have one of them, a 50-50% chance. The power of shapeshifting can only be passed down if both parents have the power. This means that without any conflict the race of shapeshifters would have always died out slowly.

They were a peaceful people for the most part, staying out of conflicts of other kingdoms. However their powers were strong, and highly wanted in wars. The payment was good for a strong carnivore. You see carnivores and herbivores were different, while herbivore powers could only make them into a herbivore slightly bigger than the normal animal the carnivores were much stronger, able to transform into an animal at least twice the size of their normal animal counterpart. not only were they larger but also faster, stronger and they had the ability to heal faster – to an extent. While it would take weeks to months for normal people to heal a broken bone, carnivores would take mere days for such things to heal.

so when other kingdoms found out about the powers of these people the only thing they saw was opportunity ... which led to a very cruel existence for them. It started by paying fathers and boys to enlist in armies and ended with whole villages taken prisoner. Only the strong ones would survive. This went on for decades, until it went too far. Due to experimenting on these poor people they got stronger and stronger, until it went too far. Carnivores were the only ones left by now, being made into super soldiers. Not only were they able to transform into a bigger animal they had made it so some families had another form ... a monster form. Instead of a normal animal they could now transform into animal that stood on 2 legs, stronger and more agile ... (think werewolf – bear – lion – whatever)

however this power came at a price, it could not be controlled. The monster form was feral, the human side buried beneath animal instinct. Once a person would transform into a monster and start fighting, they did not see people as friend or foe, they killed all. And this is why there is no more shapeshifters. They were hunted off the world, killed by all kingdoms as they could not be trusted anymore.

some families managed to escape, hide in plain side. Once children had come of age they were told to never transform under any circumstance to avoid getting captured.

and this is where our story starts. it starts with a little girl and her mother hiding in ketterdam, the heart of everything illegal. living in such a place wasn't easy, while most families of shapeshifters were taught to never transform at all, cara was taught by her mother how to transform and keep control. her animal was the wolf. while her mother was a brown wolf she was a jet black wolf. during the day she would train with her mother. she was taught how to transform in a 'small' wolf, not bigger than your average dog.

she and her mother used this form to blend in the crowd of ketterdam at night sometimes. and by the time she was 12 her mother stopped coming along at night.

by the time she was 15 she was all alone. 

AN: i know a lot of people might not like my original addition to the grishaverse however i wanted to make a story that was different than most stories and i hope you can read this book with an open mind :)