Prompt 2: Freeze, McGuffin!

For antiheroesgalore

There was a city in the valley. Its buildings were tall, and made of a dark red material that gave the skyscrapers the appearance of being veins reaching for the sky rather than stone. In the dry valley it was nice to see something other than a hypoglixian cobra, which killed in one bite.
  I'd always been aware of the city and had always wanted to go, but had never had a reason to. However, being the awesome detective that I was, the mayor had heard of me and wanted me to solve his problems.
  The city wasn't big, so someone may be confused by the fact that it needed a guard, but apparently it was big enough to need one at the gate.
  "Why are you staring? I'm not letting you in." the guard glared.
  "What if I said please?" I continued to smile awkwardly, "The mayor needs me! I'm here to solve a mystery!"
  I waved my arms when I said 'mystery', as if to make the mystery seem more mysterious.
  "I have heard of no requests," he grumbled, "And the mayor has certainly not requested any other presences, so beat it, kid!"
  I blurted out, "Um, that's a bit rude!"
  The guard's eye twitched, "Not! My! Problem!"
  "Actually, it is our problem."
  It was the mayor. I thanked him silently for withdrawing me from this conversation.

***

  I know that the mayor had told me 'do not touch anything, or so help me', but I just wanted to touch everything. His office was so shiny! And gold!
  The mayor himself wore a teal gown, and the guy played with his moustache nervously. I supposed this was like running my hair between my fingers, considering that the mayor was completely bald.
  "I'll get to the point, Miss McGuffin." the mayor grimaced.
  "Okie!"
  "Please, Miss, this is serious."
  "Oh, sorry. Okie." I said in a deeper voice.
  The mayor was the dictionary definition of unimpressed, "There's a mist floating around the city at night. Sort it out. Or whatever," he began, "I didn't call anyone initially, because I thought the mist seemed harmless, but our night-time imports have been going missing. We think the mist is related." the mayor grumbled, "The city is falling into famine... I need you to find out who's responsible."
  I thought, "Have you considered that this is a natural occurrence?"
  The mayor laughed and left the room. No, then. He could have just said that. Laughing was a bit much.

***

  I stood in the town square, thinking of what to do when I spotted the guard from the gate. He looked displeased, but was inclined to talk to me. Common courtesy, and such.
  "How has your stay been, Miss McGuffin?" the guard drawled.
  "Wow, everyone needs to stop referring to me as Miss McGuffin, it makes me feel so old." I laughed.
  He glared at me silently.
  "Uhh, yeah, my stay has been fine." I spluttered, "So what have you been up to?"
  "I'm switching positions. I do every night." the guard glared. Ohh, alliteration! I loved alliteration- "Why do you always look like you're thinking about rubbish, Miss McGuffin?"
  Low blow... he even annunciated Miss McGuffin. Rude.
  "So, anyway, do you know any spots I can use to see the mist?" I asked, quickly.
  The guard gestured left, "Skyscraper. Now get out of my sight."
  "Okie, thank you!" I waved eccentrically.

***

  Ok, so I know I wasn't supposed to fear anything, like the valley, or my shadow, or whatever but I did have a panic attack when I had to pay ten of the native currency to get into the skyscraper. Were they trying to deter people?
  It was night now, and I could see the mist. It actually creeped me out a little... what was it doing to those who breathed it?
  "Freeze, McGuffin!"
  Oh, joy. It was my friend, the gate guard, whose name I was going to make an effort to not learn.
  "At least you didn't call me Miss McGuffin." I shrugged.
  "You can't be up here! I'm going to have to arrest you." the gate guard snapped.
  "You realise it was you who told me to go here, right? And it literally cost ten whatevers to get in." I scowled.
  And he started to smile. Oh. So it was a conspiracy, then.
  And then one of the guards jumped me and knocked me out.

***

  I woke up in a room that was full of stone statues, and I was sat on the floor.
  Among the stone statues were a pair of what were certainly delivery people, one man and one woman.
  Oh, again. So the mist turned people to statues?
  "McGuffin, I apologise. Well, actually, I don't, but the mayor is going to another city today, and I'd like you to be gone when I mist him." the gate explained anticlimactically.
  I went to smack the guard's face, when I realised I was tied to one of the statues. Oh, again again. The guard left the room, laughing to himself whilst I fought against my bonds.
  It took me thirty minutes of twisting to finally escape. I knew I couldn't waste any time. Was I already too late?

***

  Ok, so, don't judge me or anything but I was definitely too late. The mayor, coachman, and two horse were now statues. Oh no, horses! I loved horses, I couldn't-
  And the gate guard grabbed me, and started to shove me into the mist. I fought back, but weakly, somehow managing to push him behind my shoulder.
  I tried to run, but the guard grabbed me and pulled me back...
  ...But then I grabbed him and pulled him into the mist. I felt so epic, just for a moment, watching him turn into a statue. And then I heard them.
  The citizens stared at me, covering their mouths, and still dressed in their pyjamas. Guards started to close in.
  I laughed akwardly. Forever awkward Miss McGuffin, that's me.