Prompt 1: Bubbles

Commander Salamander and that annoying soldier Pete were freaking out in front of me, but I had no clue as to why. Did I care? I was still deciding. Wow, how on earth was I let into this military?

It's me,
Hi!
I'm the problem, it's me...

  Taylor Swift had more interesting things to say that either of them could ever have. I had earbuds in (hidden by my hair, of course,because earbuds weren't allowed on the sub), and I was twiddling my thumbs idly whilst listening to her new album. I tried to forget about the fact that we were hundreds of feet under the water, but all of the panicked-looking talking really bought all of my stress to the surface.
  "You guys good?" I asked, removing my earbuds finally, and putting them in the pocket where my phone was, which I was also not supposed to have.
  Pete looked at me, "HAVE YOU NOT BEEN LISTENING THIS WHOLE TIME?!"
"Yes? I mean no- I mean yes. What was the question?" I scratched the back of my head awkwardly.
  "I-"
  "Give her a break." Commander Salamander stepped in, "She's new. Probably still misses her family."
  "Yeah, Pete, I'm new! Give me a break!" I squinted at him as if I were angry, but I think that he could also see the corners of my mouth quivering playfully.
  "The enemy won't care if you're new! You'll still be dead as a doornail by the time they're done with you!" Pete spluttered, utterly nonplussed at the Commander's reaction.
  "Ooh, a reference. Classy." I responded, beaming, "And who is this enemy?"
  "We don't know." the Commander sighed.
  The Commander gestured to a screen, which showed the open ocean outside of our submarine. There was another submarine out there, much larger than ours. It was completely black, with not a scratch on it. There wasn't even any identification. I swallowed hard; what was it doing all the way out here?
  "Are you sure that you don't know who this is?" I cleared my throat.
  "Yes, we're sure." Pete rolled his eyes.
  We were a surveillance team. We weren't very well protected, say, if they were to fire bombs or bullets at us! There was also only the three of us, but there was no time to wait for backup. We had some defences, but they were mild-
  "Are you ready, Pete?" Commanded Salamander asked him.
  "Huh? For what? Did I zone out again?" I gasped. Excitement crept its way amongst my fingers.
  "Do you not know, seriously?" Pete scowled, "We have experimental gear on this ship. It can really pack a punch, but unfortunately they're prototypes. They may not be safe for use against enemies yet."
  "Woah, cool!" I smiled enthusiastically.
  "No, not cool, it's very serious actually!" Pete stamped his foot, before sighing and adding, "Sir, I'm ready."

***

  How had I managed to convince the Commander to give me a suit too? No clue, but they were very impressive. There were jets on the feet, which propelled me and Pete forward, and we could fire bombs out of our hands that stuck to surfaces.
  I hoped that the bombs were good enough. Failure could lead to war. I couldn't be the cause of that. Not now, not ever.
  "I can't believe you're not already dead." Pete chuckled. It took me a moment to realise that he was mocking me.
  "Hey! That's so rude!" I shook my head playfully. He thought he had power over me, but I didn't really care.
  Our faces were covered by visors, and we could talk to each other using microphones. The Commander could also talk to us from the ship. He was always smart enough to think ahead like that.
  But he wasn't smart enough to predict Pete laughing at me.
  It wasn't that he was particularly trying to harass me, rather that he didn't think that I could do anything about it.
  But I didn't need to do anything about it.
  Something - god knows what - had shot its way into Pete, and he'd exploded into bubbles.
  So many bubbles...
  They made me wonder, why was I here?
  I'd let my comrade - my ally - die, probably. Just like that. I might even have called him my friend. He was right. I was too young, too inexperienced, too much of a Swiftie. What could I do to save my country? What could I do to make England proud?
  When the bubbles cleared, I remembered. It was because I had a duty to protect and to save lives. I was Kat McGuffin, and I was going to make those guys regret ever hurting Pete.
  Woah, I'd just gone really deep then.
  And wow, really, god knows what happened to Pete. There wasn't even a body. But was that good or bad?
  I used the jets to get closer to the sub. It stared ominously at me, but I knew it didn't have power over me.
  Bombs came out of my suit, and I stuck them to the sub. They beeped as they sat there.
  At first, I was happy that I'd done what I'd set out to do.
  To follow that thought, the Commander apologised stonily, "I'm sorry, Kat. Nobody can know that these aliens are down here."
  I cocked my head, confused. And then the world erupted into light
  I woke up with a cold sweat.

For WattpadMilitaryFiction