Going Around In Circles

Start from the beginning

The Maybank boy closely watches John B, Sarah, Cleo, Pope and Kie for any hint that they noticed his display of affection last night. They all greet him normally and get on with daily tasks without suggesting that they saw anything happen. It allows him to relax a little bit but not completely as his paranoia lingers.

Kiara was rather surprised when she woke up on her sleeping mat as she vividly remembered falling asleep on the sand down the beach with JJ's head on her stomach. She assumed that JJ must've carried her back and that thought alone almost makes her heart cease working entirely. She's half tempted to bring it up with him. Maybe when they're on their own.

JJ is broken from his own line of thought when Cleo finishes tying her knife to the end of a stick and hoists onto her feet with slight instability.

"I'm going to the pond to hunt for crabs." The girl looks his way with an eyebrow raised. "You comin' with, rude boy?"

JJ would usually go with Kie but he needs to get himself together a little. His head is quite muddled. Spending time with a different Pogue could serve him well, especially one so straightforward. "Do you even gotta ask?"

Pope responds before Kiara can get her words out.

"You sure that's a good idea?" The Heyward boy questions the girl, thick concern edging his tone.

Cleo waves Pope off dismissively. "I ain't sittin' around to find out. I been doing a whole lotta nothing lately and I'm sick of it."

Now Kiara can relate to that. Feeling like you can't really play your part just adds to the restlessness and makes you feel like you're not doing enough. You feel rather helpless. So she supposes that it'd be okay for Cleo to resume her favoured crab hunting.

Cleo glances at Kiara with expectation in her expression, waiting for her input not that the girl would probably listen to it anyway.

JJ is naturally drawn to Kie when she starts to speak.

"Just don't step on anything sharp," Kiara states with mild sternness. Her eyes move to the Maybank boy. "And keep him in line."

JJ's lip raises in a cheeky and hinting manner. "In line or on a line."

Kiara just pulls one of her iconic expressions at this. "Reel it in, JJ."

Cleo just smirks when she flicks her gaze between JJ and Kiara.

John B rubs his temple and shakes his head. He looks so disappointed. "I don't even want to know what that means."

"I don't think any of us would," Pope pipes up, looking uncomfortable. Sarah just fights a smile and keeps her head low.

Cleo twirls the newly crafted spear in her arms and winks at Kiara. "Don't worry, I'll be his babysitter."

JJ screws his face up, perplexed. "Babysitter? I don't need a babysit–"

"You definitely need a babysitter," Pope interrupts. John B, Kiara and Sarah all make a sound in agreement.

JJ huffs but then perks up and leans towards Cleo. "You don't have any spooky stories to tell about finding heads in an outhouse, do you?"

The girl snorts and offers a side look. "Even if I did, I ain't have told you about it. You'd combust like a piece of shit."

"I wouldn't combust."

"Sure you wouldn't, chief." Cleo begins to walk away, her spear resting on her shoulder. "Now you stickin' wit' the clique or coming wit' me?"

JJ jumps to his feet energetically and grabs his own spear, jogging to catch up with the girl. "Let's go crab huntin'! Whoo!"