"Hang in there. We'll find something to bring you back," I whispered, "No Strigoi has skin as warm as yours."

"I'm hanging in as much as I can, but the pain is becoming unbearable," he grunted, wiping the tear from my cheek. I rested my hand against his with a nod and opened my eyes, noticing that the red was less red than before.

"I love you, Roza. Please don't ever forget that," he whispered before abruptly pulling his hand back. He shook his hand with a hiss, his fangs poking out and I stepped back again.

"You found my ring," he said after a moment. I looked at my hand and nodded.

"I did. And I felt that I needed to wear it even though you hadn't asked me. I hope that's okay."

He smiled at me. "It's more than okay."

I nodded and sighed quietly. "What do you think it is that takes the humanity?"

"The act of killing. I overheard another newborn saying that it was the kill that completes the transformation," he said quietly.

"So a blood bag or something?"

"Not human blood," he said sharply, "I won't risk it. Animal."

I nodded and Briar started to stir in my arms.

"I don't want her to see me like this," he urged with a slight shake of his head. Seeing how different he was I stepped closer to him, standing directly over top of the warding. Dimitri stepped closer and kissed Briar's head and stroked it softly, before looking at me, cupping my head and kissing my forehead.

"Go back to sleep, Rose," he urged and gently moved me back over the barrier. I nodded and closed the door between us.

"I love you too," I said quietly.

"I've always known that," he said.

_______________________________________________

I listened to the buzz of the phone as I waited. There weren't many people I could ask these questions to without them thinking I was nuts.

"Hello?"

"Nance? It's me."

Nancy grunted. "That explains why you are calling me at ten o'clock at night," she grumbled and I heard a click on the other side.

"Sorry. I forgot that you had worked the weird shift," I said as I bit my nail, "But I didn't know who else to turn to."

"What's wrong kiddo?"

I took a slow breath. "Dimitri was turned," I said quietly, "But not completely?"

"He hasn't fed?" she asked.

"No. He said that it's becoming hard to fight the urge though. I mean, when I spoke to him, he had tears in his eyes. I remembered you once mentioned that you spent a lot of time doing research on Strigoi. Have you ever heard of something like this?"

Nancy moved around on her side of the phone and I waited patiently for her to speak.

"It's rare. More rare than Spirit. But if a Strigoi has resisted the urge to feed, they haven't let go of their humanity. If this is the case, he doesn't have long. Eventually, the bloodlust will win out."

"And can he be restored in any way?"

"It's risky."

"How risky?"

"You're going to need help from one of your Spirit friends. Not the ghosts, I mean the Moroi. He needs to be staked."

"That's not going to bring him back," I started but she cut me off.