"Are you required to report my findings to your superiors, Ms Thompson?"

"I am," she admitted. "But I didn't think you would like that, so I have only been reporting back the tasks I am assigned to. Your deductions, Mr Bedford, I have yet to tell them of. In fact, it has been two days since I last spoke to Sergeant Bateman."

"I see," Gabriel said thoughtfully, leaning back. He spoke after a beat. "I would appreciate it, Ms Thompson, if you stopped reporting our movements henceforth." Before she could protest with all the reasons this could cost her her job, he went on, "At the end of every day, I shall come up with something for you to report, wholly unconnected with the case. However, I'm afraid I cannot permit you to divulge information any longer. Unless you can agree with this condition, Ms Thompson, I cannot allow you to work for me."

Charlotte paused, a troubled expression on her face.

"Okay," she agreed reluctantly. "But why? I didn't forward your deductions because I know you are a private man, and that you would have preferred to work without the force's interference. But I'm afraid I cannot comprehend why we must take such drastic measures."

"I will give you a hint," he said. "Think back to how many times we have been hoodwinked the past few days. Tell me, Ms Thompson, do you think it possible unless the murderer knew our every move ahead of time?" He watched realisation dawn on his assistant as her cherry lips parted in awe. "But that would be next to impossible, unless..."

"Unless we have been delivering it to their hands ourselves," she finished, gobsmacked. "But who? Who would risk their life and career to commit so many crimes?"

Gabriel nearly smiled at the unsuspecting nature of the girl, but checked himself. He didn't think she would deem it particularly appropriate for a smile to make an appearance given the current line of conversation.

"I fear you have forgotten where it all began," he said.

"The Carter Hill case?" she tilted her head in confusion, very much like the canine he had thought her the first day she had arrived.

"The embezzlement," he corrected. For once, he wasn't irate at having to explain the obvious. On the contrary, he thought it a good stroke to his pride to criticise someone with inferior intellect.

"Oh," she said, hardly comprehending the meaning behind his words. "But that was nearly two decades ago," she argued. "Why would they wait for so long to exact revenge?"

"I'm afraid you have an inclination for theatrics, Ms Thompson." This time, he couldn't conceal the amusement that danced in his eyes. Charlotte blushed. "You also seem convinced it must have been revenge. But I'm personally inclined to think it is too weak of a motive for the indiscriminate killing."

"Then why?" The detective smiled.

"I just said why."

"The embezzlement?" Her brows furrowed. "But that was twenty years ago," she emphasized.

"I am aware, Ms Thompson," Gabriel smirked condescendingly.

"But-"

"I'm afraid it is getting late," he interjected, his glance towards the apartment door meant to be conspicuous rather than surreptitious. The exasperated assistant sighed and rose.

"I dropped the remaining of the documents earlier today. They are on the bureau," she informed him. "Goodnight, Mr Bedford."

Gabriel waited until she was gone to fish out his phone from his pocket.

"Devin," he said unceremoniously before his friend could as much as get a word in. "I need you to post someone at Charlotte Thompson's residence to monitor her."