chapter 10

Sorry to keep you guys on edge for two weeks. Good news is I got to the chance to do some tweaking to some chapters. I have the ending all ready, but I'm afraid half of you guys might track me down and try to kill me.....

Ah well. Now's not the time.

Chapter 10

"You're a Semi? Anthony asked.

Sir Pansly nodded, as if he was proud of it. "I've done some wicked things in my life. My kill rate is well, over 50. And don't forget Philip here. I turned him into a horse," he patted the horse's side affectionatly.

I looked into the horse's eyes. His eyes, creepily, were shaped like a human's. They seem to plead with me. Leave, they commanded. Leave, before he can do something to you.

"He was a normal boy, and you turned him into a horse?" Sydney cried.

"Yes. Are you slightly deaf or something? Do I need to keep repeating myself? I sto- ahem, borrowed a spell book to punish this young lad for insulting my family."

I turned to him. "How did you die if you had such a great life?"

The knight seemed bored at the thought of having to relate his death tale. "During that battle in 1111, a spear caught me right in the noggin," he gestured to the white wound. "I wanted to keep torturing people, because, well, it's quite fun, than go to hell and rot there. Now, I shall torment you."

A spear came rising out of the ground. It was silver and just as bright as a full moon, with a dangerously sharp blade. I knew a spear that sharp will cause some serious damage. He picked it up with no hesitation and prepared to run it through us.

We're doomed.

"Thanks a lot Wellhounse! If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be here!" Sam shrieked, ready to launch herself at my best friend and start tearing her to shreds.

Sir Pansly looked up. "Your family name is Wellhounse?"

She nodded. "This is my cousin, Anthony, my best friend Margaret, and my.... aquatince Sam."

"Wellhounse is my family name! I had a brother, you see. My family lives on! I cannot kill my own flesh and blood, or their friends. So, go! Get out of here!" he ordered.

He didnt' have to say it twice. Sam, Anthony, and Sydney leaped through the Spiral. I, however, wanted something.

"May I speak with your horse for a moment?" I asked Sir Pansly.

He looked at the wall clock. "You have a minute," he growled and left.

I patted the horse's face. "I'm so sorry," I whispered. "But the danger has passed."

"No," the boy-horse answered, "I'm afraid it's not over yet. You still need to face more immediate danger before it can truly be over."

I stumbled backwards going through the portal. The last thing I saw was Philip's eyes, like two tiny suns in a humongous galaxy.

Hartwick was sitting at his desk, tapping his foot impatiently. He was itching for a cigar by the way he kept digging in his pockets. My three companions were staring at the chalkboard, waiting for me. As soon as I appeared, Sydney and Anthony rushed to me, asking where I had been. Sam looked like she didn't care if I lived or died by the way she was gazing out the window. Hartwick also rushed at me.

"Are you allright? You didn't radio in! I was afraid you had gotton trapped!"

"It was a S-semi," I choked out, leaving out Philip. "He-he was going to k-kill us. But he was an a-ancestor of S-sydney's. So he d-didn't," I had stuggled to keep tears from flowing, but the dam burst. Anthony set me down in a chair and put his arm around me. He was my friend after all.

Hartwick's face turned beet red and stern, like he was going to get out a bullwhip. "This has become too dangerous! No more exploring the Spirals, no exceptions! That means you Ms. Wellhounse!"

*                                     *                                    *                                           *                                         *    

After the diasterous day, I unwinded by taking a long, hot shower. As the water flowed from the leaky showerhead, Philip's word resounded in my ears. What does it all mean? Send me something that will explain everything.

When I got back to my dorm, my phone was impatiently blinking. The display read one new voicemail. It was from my mom.

"Margaret, sweetie, well, we thought about what you said about Luke. It's not like we don't want to believe you, but, your story sounds a little, over the top. We think you're still trying to get over his death. When you get home for winter holiday, we're taking you to a grief counselor. Bye, love you."

I deleted the message. Even my own mother thinks I'm crazy. I heard a knock on the dorm door. "Come in."

It was Anthony holding a small paper sack. "Hey. You looked pretty sad back there, and Sydney told me you love peanut-butter cookies, so I brought you some."

I smiled. "Thanks. Want to share them?"

"Yes, please." He sat down on the bed next to me and we started eating.

"How's Sydney doing?" Anthony asked as he snarfed his sixth cookie.

I nibbled on mine. My stomach was still pretty queasy. "Heartbroken. Last time I saw her like this, she was visitng the U.S and read that Dumbledore died."

Anthony laughed and leaned his head against the headboard. As the setting sun layed a finger on his head, it gave off a golden sheen instead of his usual light brown. His smile.... where have I seen it?

Then it hit me. Right now, Anthony looked just like Luke.

=============================================================================

Like it? Comment!! Oh, and just to make things non-confusing, no, Luke's spirit is not in Anthony's body. Anthony just simply looks like him!