Nightmares - Bonus Fic! #1

A/N: This was originally meant to be Pt.1 of 'I Need You', but I didn't like this that much when I wrote it and the actual Pt.1 is the full re-write of this part! Though I think many other things I've written are much better, I still think it's pretty alright - and a nice feature to add here :)

Set within their main house~

-

"No- no please you can't separate us! I-I have to protect him! I can't lose him! Please I- PLEASE-"

"NO-!"

Declan awoke with the word - bolting straight upright into a sitting position as he scanned his surroundings frantically with heavy breaths, desperate not to be where he just was seconds before.

His chest still heaving, Dec's reality quickly escalated to become whole as he took in the severe lack of light in the room, and felt the strange, but not entirely new, mattress below him.

Turning to his right, Dec pulled the lampshade chain on the bedside table, and then, everything became clear. Yes; Dec knew exactly where he was- and knew exactly what he's doing here.

Fulfilling his nightmares.

That part isn't fully clear, or guaranteed, but they are certainly getting to him. Dec thinks they're getting worse as they get closer to their goal in the day- his anxiety and fear create endless new endings and torment him with the darkest ones in the equally darkest hours of the night in his sleep. The first two nights weren't so bad, so alarming, but now on the third- it's different. But even still, Dec can't help but feel relieved as all of it, every second of that particular horror, wasn't real. It didn't happen.

Doesn't mean it never will. What if that's his future? What if these dreams and this one, was a warning? A sign of needed preparation in case it were to come true in the future? This one possibility, all of the possibilities, any one of them could become real... any single dark, horrific scene 'No- no-', any he couldn't bare to think of anymore than his mind had dared to show him, any possibility he's shoved away, never dared to think of again, could become his future. 'Stop it-' Their future. 'STOP IT! Shut up Dec, just shut up! Stop thinking about it. Just stop. Please just stop...'

Dec counted his breaths, trying to breathe more easily and lower his racing heart he could feel through his chest. It was only then that he became aware of how much his hands were shaking, and the sweat on his forehead, as it typically came up during harsh nightmares.

Picking himself up on slightly unsteady feet, Dec carried himself into the nearby bathroom and washed his face with cold water. After drying himself with a towel, he leaned on the counter and looked in the mirror. As he debated what to do next, in the mirror from the open door behind him he could see the bed, and instantly dismissed trying to sleep again as an option. Instead, he decided on some needed fresh air.

As Dec left his given room, now changed into a long sleeve shirt, Dec stepped carefully towards the staircase at the end of the hall. Midway, however, he paused, faced with a door only two down from his. He stepped a little closer and listened for any sound of movement or noise, finding nothing but his own shaky breaths. He backed away from the door. He swallowed. It would be selfish of Dec to hope that Ant was awake, he knew this, so although he felt a little selfishly disappointed, he was very grateful that Ant had achieved some sleep at least for this night, he knew it wasn't easy for him in places away from home, often staying awake for long hours throughout the night. If he had been tonight, at least Dec would have had a real excuse to be with him right now rather than stupid nightmares and stupid thoughts in his stupidly anxious and fear-driven mind. He couldn't wake him now, not for this. It wasn't worth it. He wasn't... not for this...