Calmness of the night

Every night from that day, would climb up onto that hill and watch the world sleep. Protecting it, maybe warn it if that creature ever came back. I would sit perched on a rock and watch the mesmerizing patterns of light coming from the distant city. The flickering neon signs would catch my eye, and as I gazed out, it felt like time had slowed.

The night was my favorite time of day. Ever since that accident I could never sleep at night, I could be anywhere I wanted to be up here. No one would judge me, no one knew my name, I was just a girl, how could I protect a massive city? I could a least try and maybe some day prove that I am strong.

I would watch the commuters, tired and grumpy, dragging their feet back to their houses after a long day at work. The streetlights cast an eerie glow on everyone, and as I watched them shuffle past, I felt like I knew their stories.

I would sit there for hours, watching everything around me. I would see people of different kinds, many dots to me. Lovers whispering sweet nothings to each other as they walked down the street, the sound of their laughter ringing through the quiet night. I would watch as cars halted at red lights and then scurried off into the darkness. Every passing second felt like a lifetime, and I was happy just to be there in the moment.

It was on these nights that I felt truly myself. I was alone, but I didn't feel lonely. The world slept, but I was awake in the stillness of the night. I would sit on the hill, eyes frozen, even knowing fear would keep me awake I still got the sleep I needed.