This appearance of his looked exactly like a good student who was caught in the act of cheating in the middle of a test. He was like a cornered beast as he stubbornly refused the accusatory, sharp gazes facing him, doing his best to puff himself up as both fierce and ruthless.

"I'm not saying that you can't." The rough outer form rubbed against her fingers, "It's just that a bamboo dragonfly is only really a bamboo dragonfly when it has to listen to the will of heaven. If you use a talisman to control it, you've turned it into a puppet. Why are you still calling it a dragonfly then?"1

[Ding! System reminder: Host, congratulations on gaining object 'bamboo dragonfly'. The item has already been placed into your mission box. Reminder ends here.]

The system reminder popping up in her head suddenly interrupted her line of thought. She could only hurriedly conclude her sermon. Sneaking a glance at the black lotus, who stood all by his lonesome in the wind, she suddenly felt that he was very pitiful.

Mu Sheng clearly stood very close to her but it felt like even his sleeves being lifted by the wind were completely covered by a layer of harsh frost. Even though his entire person was shrouded by sunlight, it proved unable to even melt the slightest lonesome desolation covering his body.

Not mentioning the bamboo dragonfly, he would treat the others all the same. Teeth clenched as he made sure he was never more than half a step away from what others could do. Even the joy within, he would stick his head into the sand, completely not feeling any of it.

His emotions were all contained in his heart. He himself was awkward, envious and jealous. Even after the long winding road, no one would know. No one would care.

Even her getting closer to him was all for the sake of advancing her mission.

The black lotus. How lamentable.

The transmission talisman flew up and shot out a mini fire flower into the air, letting out a 'pop'.

"We should go back now." His expression calmed down and he reached out, "Give it back to me."

Ling Miaomiao sized him up for a long time before speaking in a small voice: "Actually, there's no way for you to hold everything within your palms. Why don't you just leave some things up to heaven's will? Leave yourself some pleasant surprises."

Her voice was both soft and low. In a moment of absentmindedness, he recalled the conversation between his adoptive parents many years ago. Their heads had been lowered and Bai Jin was whispering to Mu Huaijiang. Discovering his presence, they immediately sat straight and put on serious and indifferent expressions and gazes.

Only those who were extremely close to you would use such familiar words of advice and persuasion.

They had never used this manner of speaking to him before.

The sunlight fell onto the crown of her head, causing the young girl's hair to seem extra glossy and brilliant. Under this bright and sunny weather, even her pupils were half transparent: Just like a pair of translucent amber balls.

Ling Miaomiao pinched the bamboo dragonfly and brushed past him in a very good mood. She had only taken a few steps before stopping and walking backwards. When she turned around, she raised her arm and shot a blindingly brilliant smile at him. As if she was afraid of him being unable to hear her, she even formed a funnel with her hands: "Let me help you change, I'll give it back to you once I'm done—-"

___________________________________

"There aren't many with the surname Tao in Chang An. I only found one family, their residence is in the suburbs. For generations, they were craftsmen." Liu Fuyi bent a willow branch in half as he drew a shallow 'Tao' on the ground.