And then, her expression turned ugly and unnatural. Her lips curled downwards and her expression became filled with dread and resentment, "Tao Ying told me to bring Princess Duanyang into Xingshan Temple on the tenth day of the ninth month and call the commoners to worship the Goddess. After the ceremony, the Goddess will have returned to her rightful place. This matter is of utmost secrecy, you must let no one else know of it."

Mu Yao's gaze turned even colder, almost as if they were two laser beams directly piercing through Dowager Consort Zhao's forehead: "The tenth of the ninth month, did our highness attend?"

Dowager Consort Zhao lowered her head to look at her teacup. She entered a taciturn state. After a long time, she clenched her teeth and the veins on her forehead popped out, "Originally, Xingshan Temple had three head monks, all of who were this consort's trusted aides. On that very night, one of them came back and informed this consort that in Tao Ying and company's dwellings, they discovered a large amount of fire starter and straw."

Silence hung over the spacious hall. Even the song of cicadas coming from outside seemed to be muffled.

"Your highness, did you go and question Tao Ying upon finding that something in the situation was off?"

"I trusted Tao Ying and company wholeheartedly. I provided them with good food and drinks..." Dowager Consort Zhao bit her teeth, "This consort asked him what exactly the 'ceremony' entailed and he told this consort that the Goddess's rightful place was to be burned at the stake. Her soul would be in bliss as it returned to the heavens as she achieved nirvana and was reborn."

The three of them weakly rested their backs against their chairs. Now, they could see that these few people weren't actually from the Tantric Sect either, they were a group of self-immolating evil cultists that had mixed into the Imperial family's temple.

Ling Miaomiao couldn't help but insert herself: "She would only return to the heavens after she dies: All this that Tao Ying said, did you believe him, your highness?"

Dowager Consort Zhao tightly clenched her cup and her expression sunk into a complicated silence.

"I heard that the previous empress had a serious ailment. Whenever the weather turned cold, her body would steadily deteriorate." Mu Sheng's voice echoed in the hall. His crow black lashes covered up the emotions within his eyes. The corner of his mouth curled up, "Her highness was half doubtful, half believing within. Only, when the crucial moment arrived, she could only try desperately to keep things afloat. Right?"

These words of his were spoken especially harshly, so harsh that Dowager Consort Zhao's hand that held her teacup blanched from her grip.

"Tao Ying promised this consort that after being consumed by fire, it would only be the Goddess's soul that returns to her rightful place. Nothing would happen to the princess." She seemed to be trying to justify herself but saw the strange expressions on everyone in front of her. Thus, she lightly led on with, "On the tenth day of the ninth month, this consort carried Minmin in my arms. She didn't understand anything and was continuously making a fuss in this consort's arms... making a fuss because she wanted to eat osmanthus cakes..."

Mu Yao let out a long sigh: "Mothers and daughters are connected with their hearts. Your highness, you couldn't bear to put her in any danger..."

Using a daughter for the sake of benefits was something ruthless warmongering emperors had tried before. However, as long as this thought went through the heads of a mother, as long as she thought about it, she would feel the idea of using her daughter for benefits weighing down on her heart like a mountain. Every time her daughter sweetly called out 'mother', the mountain would grow in weight.