The Queen took it in stride however, grinning cheekily at her, soothing all her worries.  "Mmm, so you think he's handsome?" She joked, grasping her elbow as she led Lavinia into the Palace. Lavinia spluttered, allowing herself to be led throughout the castle. The inside was just as green as the outside. Filled with indoor plants and pots of exotic flowers.

The walls were bare from any of the extravagant detailings they had in Vespertine, instead were filled with portraits of older rulers, and members of the Royal family. Calandra led her to the guest room she'd be staying in. Opening the single door, revealed a modest small room, with only the bare necessities. It was nice, for a change, and nowhere near as cramped or overwhelming as Lavinia's room in Vespertine was.

The view, however, was to die for. The double window looked out upon yards and yards of rolling fields and forests. In the distance, she could make out a variety of flying creatures, some she'd only ever dreamt off. Griffins, dragons and more. 

"I'm sorry this isn't much, but as Royals' we consider it our duty to give back to our community. So often, we don't have the resources for the glamour I'm sure you're used to in Vespertine." The Queen apologised, petting her small dragon. She gazed at her, it was almost as if she was expecting something. Like this was just a test.

"No, no. Don't apologise!" Lavinia hurried to assure her. "This is perfect, I much prefer this." She made her way to the window, to gape at the surroundings. Whatever test the queen had set out, she'd clearly passed, as Calandra joyfully slapped her back.

"I'm glad! You'll settle in nicely." The Queen said, moving to stand next to her. "The Prince's bedroom is of course next to your own, so you can attend to him with haste," Calandra winked exaggeratedly, causing her to blush.

"I'll leave you to get settled in for now, negotiations will start tomorrow. So, I'm afraid I won't be seeing much of you until after. While we're in the meetings, you should take a look around. I'll have one of our Dragon Knights to escort you." Calandra offered, as she began to walk out of the room.

"Dragon Knight?" Lavinia murmured to herself, not really thinking much of it as the other woman left her to her own devices. "What the hell is that?"

--

It was Dawn of the next morning when two rapt successive knocks woke her up. Lavinia jostled, tripping over the bed covers in an attempt to get to the door. Look round for something to cover herself up with, she hoisted one of the blankets around her shoulders, and wrapped it around her body.

She wasn't sure about Havenvale customs, but in Vespertine it was seen improper for anyone to be caught in their nightwear. Hastily she opened up the door. To be met with a tall, armoured young man. His hair was longer than hers, a fiery red up in a sleek ponytail. He had striking features, although his nose was on the bigger side. On his golden armour was a plated dragon embellishment.

The Dragon Knight, the Queen had been talking about.

He looked down at her as though she was a particularly stubborn speck of dust. "Good morning," Lavinia smiled awkwardly, looking around him in the corridor behind. It was a rather strange feeling, to want to see Prince Delvin around the corner, rather than the emptiness that was. He must already be in their meeting.

The Dragon Knight remained ominously silent. "Erm," Lavinia said awkwardly, bringing the blanket tighter around herself. "Did you want some tea, or something?" The Knight finally responded, shaking his head. Causing the tendrils of fiery red hair to fall slightly in front of his blue eyes.

"Okay, then. Can you wait a minute out here while I get dressed?" She asked, the man simply nodded and shut the door in front of her. She blinked at it for a second, then shrugged her shoulders and got ready for the day. Perhaps this was just a Havenvale custom she wasn't familiar with yet.

----

It wasn't a custom at all. The Dragon Knight leading her around the castle grounds was just as silent as he had been the entire time she'd briefly known him. He had not uttered a single word. Lavinia tried to offer up small talk, smiling gently, complimenting their Royal Gardens but not a word of reply was given.

Then, after a while of walking, they had ended up in front of gianmours stables. Each one was the size of a house, and from the outside she could regularly ground shaking thuds. Two other golden dressed Knights came up to them. The more burly of them slapped her guide over the shoulder, in what was meant to be a friendly gesture.

The red head appeared to hate it however, shrugging the other man off him with a ferocious glare. The two other Knights laughed, and Lavinia got the sense that it was at her guide, and not with him. She stared at them cautiously, raising her eyebrows at the gesture.

"The Queen told us you'd be here today! You're in luck, little lady, she told us to give you a VIP tour of the Dragon stables! Maybe, if you're good one of us can take you out on one." Almost as an afterthought, the smallest Knight looked to the redhead besides her. "Oh i wouldn't worry about Vaeros here, he's mute. A little bit defected if you get what I mean." 

"He's a weird one, you know."

Lavinia made a face at the two Knights, as they gestured for her to follow them. Her guide, Vaeros, they said he was called, seemed dejected somehow. His firm features downtrodden. Like he was used to this. Like he was used to worse than this.

Lavinia hated bullies. She just hoped she wouldn't offend the Queen by what she'd do next. If she were honest with herself, she felt guilty for just assuming he was just ignoring her. Maybe that was why she reacted so vehemently against the other Knights.

"You know, he's right there. So don't talk about him as if he isn't. Besides, the Queen herself told me Vaeros would be the only one to guide me and certainly not two ignorant Knights," Lavinia defended, shifting to stand slightly in front of the redheaded Dragon Knight, not that someone his height really needed her protection.

But it was the principal that mattered.

The bigger one, stood still for a turn, before swivelling on his feet and marching back to her. He got in her face, so close she could smell his breath. It was rancid. She cringed back. "The Queen asked us to guide you when you were escorted here. And that's what we'll do. Do you honestly think we'd listen to someone like you?"

"No I don't. But I certainly won't listen to you." Lavinia hissed, backing away from them. He opened his mouth to refute and for a moment she wished she could reach over and shut it for him. Wasn't like he'd say anything smart anyways.

Before he could dig his own grave, there was a loud ear piercing roar, that seemed to even shake the air around them. With two loud thuds, there, a few feet from them, towered a large white scaled dragon. It heaved smoke from its two round nostrils and glared down at them with piercing icy blue eyes.

They reminded her of Delvins own eyes.

Lavinia stood in awe, gaping up at the mythical creature, with an open mouth. She'd never seen a grown up dragon before. It was the size of a small castle.

"What is going on?" A stern female voice demanded. Lavinia had been so distracted by the creature she hadn't seen the woman jump off of it. The woman was dressed head to toe in golden armour, face covered with a Knights Helmet.

Vaeros and the two other Knights immediately bowed down, rigid in their stances. They shot back up again, standing to attention.

"Commander!"

Authors Note:  

Hey so this is kind of a long chapter! I hope it makes up for the lack of updates recently lol. If you liked it, let me know. And if you didn't, i'd still love to hear from you! What do you think of these new characters. We have the new King and Queen, and ofc Vaeros. 

Thank you so much for reading, and your patience! 

Lots of love, 

Sam.E