Chapter 24 - Way of the World

Start from the beginning

"Seeing it on TV is much different. As is everything. We'll miss important details." Machida sat down in Division B and drank some water.

"At least my allergies won't act up in a wasteland." Kitt began to doze off. Machida pinched his cheek hard, "You're not here to sleep!"

"Fine, gosh." Kitt sat back up in his seat and rubbed his cheeks.

"We're going to the cafeteria, there's something I wanted to investigate myself about this ship." Machida motioned to Kitt to get up as he left.

"Uh-huh." Kitt mumbled as they went off to the cafeteria.

———

"AC...Please..." Enjō had already finished two water bottles whilst in the cafeteria line, "How long are we going to be here on this stinking, hot, overpopulated, weird ass ship for?!" He grabbed the collar of Uyama's shirt.

"8 more hours. Just 8 more," Uyama looked around for more water until he spotted someone in the B-Line, "Ack! What the hell is he doing here?!"

"Who?" Enjō looked as well, "Oh, it's the creepy agent. He's stuffing his mouth!"

"You didn't wanna investigate anything! You just wanted to eat!" Kitt yelled, attracting even more attention.

"You can't investigate—" He drank some water, "On an empty stomach."

"Bull! You sound like a screenplay."

"Well, well, well. Looks like the high and mighties got stuck on the wrong ride." Enjō rubbed his hands together maliciously.

"No, I don't think so. They're here for a reason." Uyama took another sip as a whirring sound rang out in the room.

Enjō almost got knocked off of his feet as the floor trembled. "The ship's moving!" He felt the air around him, "The AC's on! Thank you, god!

———

"Thank you so much! How's she been?" The mother of the Omega took her out of Omega's hands.

"Good, I suppose. She's no trouble."

"Oh, you look like you haven't ate anything all day. Could I get you something?" The woman began to search in her pockets that were crammed with packaged foods.

"No, no I'm fine! I don't need anything." Omega looked down in embarrassment when she dropped a candy bar and a cup of Mac and cheese in his hands.

"You need something to eat at least! Don't starve yourself because you're shy."

Omega felt his heart warm, something he's only experienced recently  "Thank-Thank you."

"No problem, sweetheart. Can I get your name?" Her eyes fluttered, which made Omega feel weird. He opened his mouth to talk, but nothing came out. If I say "Omega", I'd sound strange, especially with her baby.

"Alex." He forced the name from his gut. She put her finger on her lips, "It was great to meet you Alex, I'm Alexia."

"Oh-oh.What a coincidence." Omega rubbed the back of his neck. The woman waved as she left. Omega finally dropped his tense shoulders, settling back into his tight seat.  Wow, that felt strange. "Thank you", that was nice.

After a while, Uyama and Enjō returned, Enjō carrying two bags of food, his bicep veins bulged.

"Sorry, Omega. I bet you're starving, you want something?" Uyama sat back down and shoved his hand in the bag.

"No, I'm fine. This woman bought me Mac and cheese."

Enjō sat down next to Omega and put his arm around his neck, "I'm so proud of you. Must've been good, huh?" His arm tightened around his neck. Uyama took his arm out of the bag and slapped Enjō with the back of his hand.

Enjō froze and his arm dropped, "Did you-Did you just bitch slap me?"

"Mhm, now eat up." Uyama handed him a bowl of chicken and rice. Enjō snatched it out of his hand and mumbled, "Thanks."

———

"President Dawa, don't you think it's rather unfair?" Steele sat in a seat on the airplane above the Gila, "We're able to get to JanuEri by lunch, whilst the Gila takes about 9 hours."

"Where else would they go, Mr. Steele? Around the ocean the Tugst? You understand the rules."

"What rules are those?" Steele shifted in his seat, furrowing his brow.

"Those rules. We're here, they're down there. That's just how it works on this earth."

"I see, that's just how it works. Tell me, President Dawa. How much should these rules mean to me?" He turned to face Dawa's back.

Dawa's chin jiggled as he turned, feeling his eyes gaze at him. "It shouldn't mean anything, at least not to you. You are highly valued." Steele looked back down at the Gila, which was exiting his sight from the window. "Now, I know how you'll think of me when I say this, but I believe there are many down there that are valuable. I think it reasonable to give them a chance."

Dawa was silent until a waitress came by, "I see, well, I admire that idea. But there's no way for it to happen. It's going against the way of the world, Steele." The waitress poured him a drink, "Many thanks." The waitress left, and Dawa took a sip. "It's the same idealistic thinking that led to the failure that was socialism. Leave that speak to the authors."

Steele chuckled, "Alright, if you say so."

———

After Machida and Kitt finished eating, Machida suddenly got seriously.

"Kitt, you see that guard over there?" He pointed towards a guarded door, "The doors beneath this floor are locked by keycards. Use your glitch to take his, and then we'll start this investigation."

"Huh? We're breaking the law? Alright." Kitt shrugged. He walked towards the guard with his back turned, and his feet began to glitch into the floor, the rest of his body following them. Kitt fully disappeared into the floor with a BZZT. Machida watched earnestly as a hand popped out of the floor behind the guard and quickly snatched the keycard, disappearing back into the floor. He re-emerged from the ground fully, his feet still glitching until he gave Machida the keycard.

"You could call me Lupin the 4th," Kitt smirked as he leaned on the wall next to Machida.

"Good, now follow me. I saw something on our way to the cabins." Machida shoved the card in his jacket pocket and started down the stairs.

"Hey! Wait!" Kitt nearly tripped trying to catch up to him.

As Machida stepped down to the lower floor, he was stopped by another guard. "No passengers are allowed past this staircase. Please refrain from going below passenger levels."

Machida stiffened up and presented the stolen keycard and his badge, "I am the Directorate of Shacian Intelligence, Jozu Machida. As you can see, I am in quite a hurry. Please, move aside and allow me to do my job." He spoke with his chin up in a flamboyant tone.

The guard stood still for a moment, then he looked behind Machida. Then behind him through the window. "You may go."

"Only if my partner can come along too." Machida pointed behind him, Kitt peaked his head past the railing.
The guard cringed, "Whatever, just go."

Machida and Kitt passed through the door and walked through the corridor. "It's a lot darker in-" Kitt sneezed again. "Oh, are you serious?!"

"Shh! We don't know if we're really welcome or not." Machida turned on his phones flashlight and pointed it down the hallway, "Only one way to go." He whispered as he continued sneaking down the corridor.  One of the door's knobs started to turn. Machida readied his finger and morphed it into a pistol. The door turned as if someone was going inside, instead of outside.

"There's ghosts on this damned ship." Kitt shuddered as the door began to close. Machida took off, running to the door and forcing it open again. He growled and snatched what looked like air. There was a gurgling sound as a snake's head slowly appeared in the grip of Machida's hand. "You dare sneak your way around again?! Around me, Kuro Fukuya?!"