|48| The statement

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure you will make it to your meeting?" I ask him looking up at him in the same position we are in.

He is supposed to meet that agent today too.

"Yeah, I should have more than enough time. He said he will meet me later tonight. I guess he doesn't want to be seen with me. He just got my brother in prison after all." He explains giving me a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"You really think he will help you?" I ask looking back at my reflection in the mirror and taking my clear gloss resting on the small gold plate over the vanity.

He hasn't given me much information about what he is going to do exactly. I know the man he is meeting is the agent in charge of Matteo's case and that he believes he might have information about his father's whereabouts but why on earth will that man help him out of pure selflessness? It's clear Carlos has a card up his sleeve he hasn't told me about.

"Not willingly but I have my ways." That's all he says as he takes the clear gloss away from my reach and hands me the red one. "This one, I love how red looks on you."

"We are going to a formal meeting Carlos." I shake my head but take the red lipgloss anyway.

"I know and with it, you will look way more powerful than you already look." He smiles at me through the mirror.

"Trying to boost my confidence?" I can't help but laugh softly at his attempt.

"Maybe, is it working?" He asks still smiling.

"A little." I'm still nervous as fuck but he looks way too cute to say no to.

Applying the red lip gloss and checking my ponytail for the last time I breathe in a few times and nod to myself.

"Okay, here goes nothing. Let's go." I turn around and fix the collar of Carlos' shirt. "You look really handsome by the way."

"Can't let you take all attention." He bends to kiss me and when he comes up again there's gloss all around his lips.

"Red is also your color." I smile swiping it away with my thumb. "But I think you should go without it this time."

___

"Just say the words and we are out of here Mia." Carlos places his hand over my shoulder as I keep on staring at the door engraved with 'Mark Grey, Manhattan's district attorney' in silver letters.

"No, I'm okay. I have to do this." I say more to myself than to Carlos.

Putting my hand up against the dark wood I take a big breath and finally knock.

"Come in." Who I'm guessing is Mark says from the inside.

His secretary has probably let him know we were here.

"I'm by your side," Carlos whispers as I open the door and step inside.

Mark stands the moment I get through the door and comes to meet me. He is wearing a very similar suit to Carlos' but he does have a tie. A purple one to be exact that makes his big brown eyes pop. He has to be around forty-something taking that you don't usually get to district attorney at a young age but if they told me he was in his thirties I would have believed it. His dark brown hair is perfectly gelled back and his strong jaw flexes due to the warm yet professional smile he is directing at me.